Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP crash and reinstall nightmare - advice please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 robin22058

robin22058

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

Its been 5 days since I lost my system (HDD dirty) and desperately want to get it back.
I've managed to alleviate the problem by buyiong a new HDD and putting it in teh 2nd drive Bay and sucessfully created a new XP.SP2 image so I can see the first drive to try and repair it.

I don't think the problem started with a viris as Trend Micro Internet Security has always been active.

This is what happened:

Thu

On boot got message that HDD was dirtty and prompted to run CHKDSK /P.
Several files weemd to be fixed but when re-boot came back with SYSTEM hive was corrupted.

Tried traditional restore from XP CD (only prob it was SP2 and my system was on XP3. The restore went well until it blocked restoring device drivers - at 35 mins left.

Fri

After sevrl more blocks on restoring drivers I started reading and did some bad things

1) Changing CD to a XP SP1 disk and XP Media 2005 disk - both crashed out.
2) Deleted inf files from system32/inf directory
3) overwrote 5 registry hives from a recent restore point

It all got worse and I simply could not boot of the drive at all. SafeBoot with all options eg /SOS /NOGUIMODE etc and nothing.

I'm now guessing its registry corruption since all hardware works perfectly on new installation.

Can anyone help me get back out of this black hole and all my apps software is still in it (Lightroom, and other expensive images) The good news is I got all the data back on the new drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

Being as you are reasonably sure there is no virus make your old drive a secondary/slave then transfer your files to the new drive, once that is done format the old drive. Caveat if the old drive is really old junk it as it will end up having problems again.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 09 December 2009 - 10:01 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users