Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Message from Microsoft: authentic?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hello,

I'm getting this message (repeatedly) that claims to be from Microsoft, and I don't know if I should trust it:

"Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications is part of Microsoft's effort to reduce software piracy. Installing this software can help confirm that the copy of Windows installed on this PC is genuine and properly licensed.

If your copy of Windows is not genuine, the software will provide periodic reminders to help you take appropriate action and protect yourself from security threats posed by counterfeit software."

Does anyone recognize this, and is it really from Microsoft?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

Yes, do you have a genuine copy?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

Where do you get the message?

The wording is the standard WGA warning that comes with the manual access and choosing custom at windows update site, but that does not mean it is not one of the many actual microsoft messages faked by rogue anti malware gangs.

Do you have automatic updates turned on? Is it a new install or a reinstall on an oem computer with a retail disk?

Microsoft makes changes to the WGA several time a month and each time I update a reinstalled system I have to agree to its install via windows update. It is also required to install Microsoft Security essentials. Microsoft assumes that all of it's user base are pirates until proven innocent over and over again.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 08 December 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#4 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

Thanks.

#5 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

Microsoft assumes that all of it's user base are pirates until proven innocent over and over again.

:inlove: :thumbsup: :cool: :P :flowers: :) :)

:trumpet: <--that one just cause it is fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users