Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have some kind of infection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nikilet

Nikilet

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:55 AM

I have Vista Home Premium SP2 / IE8 / BitDefender Internet Security 2009

Various strange things have been going on tonight. I'd like to list the symptoms and hope someone can advise me.

I opened IE8 and my home page tried to come up but wouldn't load because I kept getting a security warning stating "A website wants to open content using this program on your computer" and the program was Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5. I kept clicking allow but the box would just pop right back up. It finally went away and then the same thing started happening concerning Adobe Flash only this time it would not go away. I even tried clicking on the Don't Allow option and that didn't work either. I finally had to check the box at the bottom that said "Do not show me the warning for this program again" and then it stopped, but I'm kinda wishing I hadn't done that. I just remembered this same thing kept happening last night with HP Smart Web Printer and I finally went into Manage Add Ons and disabled it. I have attached a screen shot of the box on Adobe Flash. It was the same box for Shockwave Player and HP Web Printer.

I opened IE and typed a topic in the Google search bar (Google is my default and it's what I always use) and instead of a Google page I got a Web Crawler page. Why would this come up when I don't even have it listed under my search engine options and further, I had never even heard of Web Crawler until tonight.

BitDefender opened and did it's scheduled deep scan at 7:24 this evening. Nothing was found. Since then, it's been opening and trying to do a scan about once every hour. I checked the scheduling and that's as it should be so don't know what is causing it to do this. It was running fine until tonight.

Last night I did a full scan with Spyware Doctor, Malwarebytes and then my deep scan with BD and nothing was found. But something is causing all these problems and I hadn't downloaded anything so I can't figure it out. If anyone can advise me what might be causing this I would sure appreciate it.

Attached Files

Edited by Nikilet, 08 December 2009 - 06:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

When you upgrade Adobe Flash Player in Windows Internet Explorer 7 on a Windows Vista-based computer, you receive the following warning message:
A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer

This program will open outside of Protected mode. Internet Explorer's Protected mode helps protect your computer. If you do not trust this website, do not open this program.

Name: Adobe Flash Player
Publisher: Adobe Systems Incorporated

Warning message when you upgrade Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer 7 on a Windows Vista-based computer

How to Reset IE Security Warning “A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer”
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Nikilet

Nikilet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

As to the first link you gave me, I am using IE8, not IE7. I was not trying to upgrade Adobe Flash or Shockwave Player. I believe I have the auto update turned off for these as Secunia PSI tells me when they need to be upgraded. Same with HP Web Printer. I had that set to let me check for updates.

But even if all this had been regarding updates, when I clicked to either Allow or Deny, it just kept popping right back up.

I clicked on the second link you gave me and got a big WARNING page that this was not a safe site.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:00 PM

The second link is to an article on windowsvistaplace.com so I don't know what kind of a warning you received. Dr.Webb Check URL Scan, Norton Safe Web and Link Scanner all says its clean and I didn't have any issues with that link. Anyway, here is an alternate link. IE8 should have the same Reset Button via Internet Options > Advanced Tab.

IE8 uses Protected Mode too with some improvements.

IE8 should have the same Reset Button via Internet Options > Advanced Tab.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users