Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markqis

markqis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:54 AM

When left mouse double clicking, the external hard drive will not open, I need to explore by right clicking, this is then
followed a short time later by the hard drive not being recognised by Win explorer, Easy Recovery show no physical damage, and I can recover files on some drives but others I cant..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:41 AM

Hard Drive Diagnostic Tools:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Pick one or more and run them...They will be able to tell you if your external drive is failing or not...Or it may do nothing...But it may rule out hardware failures...'Ya gotta start somewhere...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

<<...I can recover files on some drives but others I cant...>>

What types of files might these "others" be?

Louis

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

Also what type of external drive might it be?

I have usb1 .1 and 2.0, firewire, and esata. They all use different libraries IIRC.

Also note I had one computer that had the same behavior when DAEMON tools was installed and active. I think this is by design. Other virtualization technology may have settings that do the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users