Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How does my old rig compare to newer ones

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dell-lover

Dell-lover

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:59 AM

I bought this old Dell Dimension 3000 from a friend for $50 and, besides reformating the hardrive, I have put about $200 worth of upgrades into it. Just wanted to know if this was a good deal and how it compares to newer computers. (runs on Windows XP)

Specs:
(original) Pentium 4 Processor - 2.8GHz
(original) 80GB Hard Drive
2GB memory (upgraded from 512MB)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE PCI sound card (upgraded from onboard audio)
380Watt Power Supply (upgraded from 250Watt)
Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT 1GB PCI video card (upgraded from integrated graphics)

Edited by Dell-lover, 08 December 2009 - 03:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

Comparative purposes only: http://www.computerlx.com/config.aspx?t=&product_ID=743

No point in dumping money into an older system, IMO, when you can get a system with newer components, an O/S and a warranty...for about the same money.

At this time of year, many systems are dirt cheap...partially because they don't feature the newest processors. But for those with older systems, there are opportunities.

Louis

#3 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:27 PM

Looks like you have reached the end of your ugprade list....Might be slow playing new release games but it should play WOW good enough as well as most older games,and plenty of power for internet, movies and music. I have a 3 gig p4 that I use for such....Oc'd to 3.45, but only have AGP with 6200, but plays WOW on med. settings with 30 FPS. Keep her going !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users