Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Script to Automate IE Content Advisor Security

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dilip Panjwani

Dilip Panjwani

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:20 AM

Hi,

I have 65 remote locations on broadband with no local IT engineers.

I need a script which can be sent to users to execute on thier local system - the script should
1. automatically enable IE Content Advisor
2. Set admin password for IE Content Advisor
3. Disallow all sites by default
4. Allow list of predefined sites (provided by me)

Would anyone on this network happen to have a solution ?

Thanks in advance for your time and support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

You have 65 sites for children?
Some of us are those IT engineers you did not think were necessary to employ any longer. :thumbsup:

If you have real Cisco or other routers on the far end, use that to restrict all and allow your list via ACL. If you have full scale linux routers or those that can run DDWRT, you can use iptables, restrict time of web access, ect...

If you only have the cheezy CPE provided by the DSL/Cable provider, it is still possible to enable an ACL in the upstream if they are all aggregated into the same corporate router port or card.

If you are relying on DSL/Cable CPE, and a standard residential type circuit, break down and get the suits to buy an actual content filter with remote admin.

Treating employees like children may not be the best way to get them to work from home. Any non ie browser bypasses content advisor completely.

If you don't know what an ACL is ask your CEO to hire one of those network engineers back as a consultant.

It is still possible someone here can point you towards a script or a reg hack but unless your restricting all the free proxies, usb keys and admin bypass methods, anyone other than small children or sales droids will crack it in no time.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

Snippet from this post: How do I get help? Who is helping me?

Posting instructions for the use of the following by non-staff members is prohibited in this area, as well as in all other areas of the forums. This list contains tools and procedures that are forbidden, the instructions for using similar tools or procedures should not be posted here, or elsewhere on Bleeping Computer forums, without prior Staff approval.

• Manual file removal instruction
  • ComboFix instructions or discussion
  • SDFix instruction
  • Registry instruction
  • Automated registry cleaners
  • HiJackThis instructions (logs are for review only)
  • Custom scripts, batch files
  • Other specialized fix tools the BC Staff deems untrained members should not recommend for use.

Bold to highlight specific issue is mine. This is for the protection of our members. Who may not understand the risks involved.

With the above in mind, this topic is closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users