Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wild Tangent is taking over

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rickgburton

rickgburton

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:43 AM

I am using Windows XP Professional SP3. Can anyone tell me if it's necessary to have the wild tangent web driver installed to play the wild tangent games? I'm really starting to dislike wild tangent because it keeps doing things I didn't ask it to do. I don't know about you but when I am unable to control what a program does on my computer it's close to becoming malware. Whenever I play a game it tries to get me to connect to the internet and now I keep getting a window that tells me updates are ready. My only choices are "download now" or "remind me later". I can't close the window unless I choose one. I've tried to disable it but no luck. Seems to me a guy should be able to play a game without having sliding doors, purchase wild coins, or constant reminders to update the web driver popping up all the time. The only reason I don't download the updates is I'm afraid it's going to add something else I don't want on my computer and the games play fine. These games are the ones my kids play like, blaster ball, and tornado jockey. We just found the disk we bought a few years ago with polar bowler and polar golfer and even though I had the unlock codes for both games we had to wait 24 hours for wild tangents permission to play our games. If not for my kids those games would be history! Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:57 AM

unfortunatly, you need it to play wild tangent games in my experience. though, if you dont want to play the games anymore. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:12 PM

It is needed to play their games as mentioned.

Wild Tangent is a video game software company specializing in online games. It has even made a partnership with AOL to include itself as part of the AOL Instant Messenger for their AIM games section. The WildTangent Web Driver is their technology that allows you to play 3D games over the Internet. Although its not technically considered spyware it does have built in components to update itself and gather information about the computer system including
Operating System Version
CPU Type and Speed
Memory Amount
Video Card type and Driver Version
Sound Card type and Driver Version
DirectX Version
Location that the Web Driver was installed from

PC Hell

Wild Tangents Auto removal tool if desired.
http://support.wildgames.com/uninstall.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:50 AM

OK, Well it looks like something else I'll have to learn to live with. Thank you both for setting me straight about wild tangent. Just in case no one has mentioned it lately, you are providing people like me a great service by answering our sometimes dumb questions. It is very much appreciated!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

You're most welcome.. I'm of the belief that there are NO dumb questions... Only Dumb answers sometimes. :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users