Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Login Restart

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bartdude

Bartdude

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

Hello. This is my first post on this forum, so if I miss some etiquette protocols, apologies in advance.

Firstly, I have searched the forum, but haven't found the exact same issue, or at least a solution that seems to work for me.

The problem is that my computer (see below for system description) continually restarts immediately upon or shortly (<30s) after logging into Windows. Safe Mode works fine. After shutting off Auto-restart, the BSOD message now displays PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON-PAGED_AREA, with a STOP message of 0x00000050 (0x9F1FD023 [sometimes COF755E9], 0x00000000, 0x8063741D, 0x00000000). Other STOP messages included 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8063741D, 0xB9D609CO [sometimes B9D439C0 or BA9B79C0], 0x00000000).

This problem was first noticed after performing a power switch shut-off due to a frozen cursor (later determined to be caused by a dead battery in my cordless mouse). Both Windows Update & McAfee Update were active shortly before the problem surfaced.

I am able to access the drive by booting from a different drive in the same computer running identical OS, applications, etc. (imaged from affected drive a few months ago, updated today by Windows Update & McAfee Update). I performed a virus scan on the affected drive, with no identified problems. I performed a checkdisk on the affected drive, with no identified bad blocks. I removed both RAM modules (one at a time) and the problem still occurs. So I am tending to rule out bad RAM, bad HDD, bad drivers (same drivers work on imaged drive), etc., which leaves me to lean toward a corrupted file somewhere (or perhaps a virus that McAfee missed, or both).

I tried restoring to several restore points, none of which cured the problem. I have Googled looking for corrupt files that may cause this problem, but no luck.

My system:

Win XP SP3 Build 2600
NVIDIA NVDAACPI motherboard
AMD x86 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2 ~2009MHz processor
Phoenix LTD 6.00 PG 5/31/2007 BIOS
4GB DDR2 RAM (2x 2GB) memory
NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 display
McAfee Security Centre 9.15, Virus Scan 13.15 anti-virus/firewall

I checked the minidump file, but it doesn't show much in the way of Roman script. If desired, I can e-mail it or paste it to this posting.

Hopefully someone here might be able to provide some insight into this, as I am pretty much at the re-install threshold on this one right now. Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Regards,

Bart

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:28 AM

Exact error (BSOD) messages may help...Instructions for posting are here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

FWIW, your stop errors lead to things that you are checking but it may help to see the whole deal...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users