Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel to AMD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

I have an eMachines T3624 that had the motherboard go out and I have only found one type of replacement here. I would be going from Intel Celeron to AMD Sempron.

Can someone help me weigh out the specs and tell me if I'm taking a step DOWN??

Old mobo(crashed): Intel Celeron Processor 2.66Ghz, 256K L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB

Recommended replacement mobo: AMD Sempron 3000MHz+ Processor 1.80GHz / 128KB Cache / 800MHz FSB HT(1600 MT/s)

I noticed that the new one is almost 1 GHz less than my old one. (Intel: 2.66GHZ, AMD 1.80GHz) Is this bad? Or does more speed somewhere else make up for this?

I also noticed that the L2 cache is dramatically less too, is this bad? Or does more speed somewhere else make up for this?

Furthermore, why does it say AMD Sempron 3000+MHz but is only 1.80GHz processor?

Thanks to everyone who helps out :thumbsup:

Edited by ChrisMN, 07 December 2009 - 11:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:47 AM

the AMD line isn't very great in it's number's, I like how Intel just gives you the speed. Its just the model number, which corresponds to speed, like a nvidia card can be an 8600 GT or an 8800 GT.

Anyways, if just the motherboard died, then you can still use your old processor. If your processor died, then you can just get that. If your motherboard shorted though, you might have to replace both if it blew out your processor too.

Here's a motherboard that should support the celeron D 378 socket. Its a smaller board though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138079

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:57 AM

Could I try using my old(intel) processor in the new motherboard I linked to in my first post? Or is that motherboard specific to AMD processors only?

What is the data comparisons with the 2 mobos i mentioned earlier?
Am I going to notice a dramatic decrease in speed if I were to go with the AMD Sempron?

Thanks

Edited by ChrisMN, 08 December 2009 - 01:06 AM.

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:11 AM

I think the Sempron would be slower, but I'm not an expert with CPU speeds. Its hard to say because I'm not sure how much the FSB matters.

You couldn't use your intel processor in the AMD motherboard. They have different CPU sockets.

Meanwhile, I doubt you would get a terrible decrease in speed, but I can't be completely sure. It could even be a slight increase because of the FSB for all I know.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:26 AM

Vaerli -

Thanks, I appreciate it.

#6 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

Anyone out there know their fair share about CPU and FSB speeds?

Why does it say AMD 3000MHz+, but is also 1.8GHz CPU? And does the increase in FSB make up for lower CPUHZ?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

<<Why does it say AMD 3000MHz+, but is also 1.8GHz CPU? And does the increase in FSB make up for lower CPUHZ?>>

Because this board dates from the era where AMD was beginning to differentiate processors...by sheer clock speed. 1.8GHz was the clock speed the CPU ran it...today's AMD clock speeds are not necessarily indicative of anything other than clock speed (not productivity).

What that spec means is that...the CPU does the same work as a Pentium-class processor clocked at 3000 MHz. Of course, that doesn't mean much today, since any CPU will outperform those specs...if it's newer in development/production.

Generally...Celerons and Semprons were considered to be equivalents, with both being lesser versions of the Athlon XP and Pentium products, respectively.

FWIW: http://www.infopackets.com/news/hardware/2..._processors.htm

If it were me, I would just replace the motherboard, CPU, and RAM...rather than try to work with a system that is that far in the computing past. For $110, I would get something from the options I see at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...99&CatId=14

I don't believe that the design or form factor of the eMachines case...is a factor in any decision.

Louis

#8 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

Ok, thank you. I'll entertain those options at tiger direct. Although, would it be a *somewhat* easy swap - when it comes to configuring my system if I did get an Intel Pentium D?

The reason I am thinking about going with the AMD Sempron replacement is because it is the only "replacement" mobo for my model that I could find. I don't want to run into a whole lot of problems during the exchange. I need headers for front USB and front AUDIO/MIC jacks to be on the mobo. Also, are the dimensions the same so it would fit in my emachines case?

Am I going to need to purchase a new version of Windows when I install a motherboard?

Also, say I do go with the AMD Sempron(I actually found the same one on eBay for 69.99, so it isn't really going to be 110$). Am I going to get a noticable decrease in speed? Or would the AMD Sempron be sufficient for quick web browsing, *some* minor gaming, and streaming netflix movies, etc..?

Thanks

#9 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:44 AM

This helped out alot...

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/404/1

15 pages of raw data testing. You might be suprised at how Sempron 3000+ and Celeron D stack up against each other- I was!

#10 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:12 AM

I have ordered the 754 socket, AMD Sempron 3000+ (CPU/Mainboard/Fan/heatsink combo).

I know its not as easy as it might seem to configure my copy of Windows XP Home to work with the new motherboard (let alone, a completely different chipset) so I have been researching articles on reinstalling XP on new mainboards, and I am pretty sure I'm going to need an XP setup disc.

I don't have the Windows XP setup disc, however I do have my XP Product Key.

I still need a replacement XP setup disc for configuration (according to Beginners Guides Upgrading A Motherboard Without Reinstalling XP- PCSTATS.com)

eMachines support doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.. Does anyone know of somewhere to obtain a copy of Windows XP Home setup CD(S) to be used to (legally) "re-activate" my copy of windows on the new mainboard?

Thanks BC Community

Edited by ChrisMN, 10 December 2009 - 02:21 AM.

#11 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

I just got off live chat with the idiots at eMachines and they say that I purchased the PC 3 1/2 months before their warranty deadline so they are refusing to send me replacement media to use with my legitimate XP product key.

According to eMachines support, I have to purchase a new copy of windows.

Can somebody please shed some light on my situation? Or at least give me the REAL info. I am gathering conflicting information here and just need some help! Everyone is telling me that I don't need to purchase XP but I'm getting the run around....

Thanks very much to anyone who helps me out........

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

You can always borrow a MS Genuine XP CD...or have someone burn you a copy of...the same version that that you have installed...and try using that with your valid key.

Louis

#13 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

I have considered that but thought possibly Windows XP discs are specific to the manufacturer and chipset they are originally sold with, or even if the CDs are specific to your unique product key? I know microsoft can be sneaky sometimes....

I guess the only way to find out is to try.. :thumbsup:

I am having my dad mail me his version of XP from upstate so Ill find out soon....

Same version.. you mean by: XP Home / XP Pro?

Thanks

Edited for correction.

Edited by ChrisMN, 10 December 2009 - 07:24 PM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

<<Same version.. you mean by: XP Home / XP Pro?>>

Yes.

I would further suggest that you update it via slipstreaming, so that it matches the latest SP installed on your system....and then keep said updated CD in a safe place.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2009 - 12:17 PM.

#15 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:39 PM

hamluis

One of the steps for slipstreaming XP is that I have "A copy of your SATA drivers from your motherboard Web site if you have a SATA HDD that requires special drivers." How do I know if I have a SATA HDD that requires special drivers? :thumbsup:

I have put the HD in another computer and checked the properties of the drive in "My Computer" and it says "HDS 72258 0VLAT20 SCSI Disk Device" Just incase that helps.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users