Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 / old games / ? Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:08 PM

I have been using the platform in my signature to play lots of old games. But I'm spec'n out a new build, that I am putting together in hope of a greater ability to enjoy new games.
Have any of you heard whether or not Windows 7, is very accommodating of older titles.
Some I'm thinking of are:
Doom 3
Need 4 Speed MW
Halo CE/CE , lol

or real old like;
Sacrifice
Need 4 speed hot pursuit.

I sure hope so, but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't. Also I'm worried that the 64 bit version that I'm planning to use, might render my Microsoft Dual strike controllers obsolete. Yikes! that would be real bad. With alittle R&D my Sidewinder Dual Strike lives on. I have both Force feedback wheel and Hand held.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

I have some older games, like Sacred, and they play fine on the 64bit version. They get loaded into a file in windows (x86) so win7 recognizes the 32 bit and everything is fine. I can't say about your controllers, I have a wireless gamepad that I bought with XP and it works just like it always did... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

Thanks , I'll cross my fingers. I'd be bugged by loosing the old stuff, but there is always some new stuff around the corner.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#4 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

Well, I did some research on my question. I found that Win 7 Pro edition supports XP mode. All other versions above it in the 7 family of OS versions, do as well. So I lucked out and ordered the professional ed. Seems from reading here that the pro edition allows the virtualization of XP as a sort of dual boot from within 7. But requires a download of XP(free(sorta), pro version) that some how resides with this and other upper versions of 7.
One major catch, your CPU has to support virtualization. I'm not sure of the architecture behind this ability, only that the quad core I have supports it.
Seams allot of driver work went into 7, but my old 1st version dual strike force feedback wheel and pedals have yet to be supported with 64bit drivers. Its a game port connective unit. My new system won't even have one(game port), so I'm looking for a card that may(add on pci). I may scour the planet to find the 2nd version of the wheel that uses a USB connection. IDK.

Edited by PCwarrior, 13 December 2009 - 08:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users