Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Its time for me to buy a computer to call my own.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:29 PM

First off, hi and thanks to anybody who tried to help in my last thread about a video card.

The problem is much bigger now. I am tired of the family Dell and want to build a rig to call my own. In a nutshell, I want to play current games at high/highest graphic settings and stiff have decent fps, same goes with future games (HL2: The Lost Coast and new HDR effects is a good reason too). Why I seek help is the family dell (4 people share this) is an Intel 2.4 ghz and a gig of ram with a 6800 gt jammed into it, also might add there is only 10 gigs left on the hard drive, 5-10 gigs being source footage for videos I make in Premire.

So anyway, I am looking at one of two options on the Microtechcomputers.com website. Using their complete desktop system customizing options, I have figured out two different possibilities and prices for a new tower, with prices of the stuff left out (monitor , speakrs, and sound card). I would prefer to buy the stuff from them as compared to going to something like newegg because it isn't my credit card i'd be risking.

I would like an opinion of,
(Its kind of long, sorry about that, but i'm trying to be as precise as I can on details here.)

---
Amd 'complete' option,
(names copied and pasted from the list of choices to customize the tower)

Case (I don't like the one they have on there, its possible I could get it changed)
MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 Mainboard
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Socket 939 CPU
Thermaltake Venus 7+ Socket 754 / 939 High Performance CPU Fan - A1770
1024MB DDR Memory
80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive (I might go for two hard drives, one smaller one for windows the the other for everything else)
2x - Black 16X DVD-ROM (one being a burner)
ATI Radeon RX300se 128MB DDR (I might possibly be able to take that off, they seem like nice people at the store by me and we could possibly work something out).
Black PS/2 Internet Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse Combo (maybe a wireless)
Windows XP Home Edition

this comes out to be $1,005.34 + say $250-400 or so depending on monitor, speakers/sound card, and other small things I would get to complete the build)

---

Intel 'complete' option

case (same thing as with the amd build)
MSI 915P Neo2 Platinum Socket LGA775 P4 Mainboard
Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz 800FSB Socket 775 CP
1024MB DDR2 PC4200
80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive (would like to try the same idea as mentioned above on the other build)
2x - Black 16X DVD-ROM (one being a burner)
ATI Radeon RX300se 128MB DDR (same thing with the video card as above, I have a BFG 6800 gt oc 256 already anyway)
Black PS/2 Internet Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse Combo (might do a wireless instead)
Windows XP Home Edition

All that alone adds up to be $909.98 (adding another $250-400 on the stuff not included in that. same things as said above)
---

Now, my budget will be around $1200-1500. Also, I'd really love to try and sell my BFG 6800 gt oc 256 agp video card to use that money for the new BFG 7800 gt oc 256 pci-e. So I'd like to know any thoughts on what I should/shouldn't do and any advice/ideas.

Thank you very much.
Sorry again for the long read.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:52 AM

yea, I guess this is probably more of a amd vs intel thing. I was going to go with just the intel system, but if I'd be mostly playing games, shouldn't I try the amd?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:40 PM

You bet you should. Although the fanboy debate never ends about which processor is best, I myself opted for the AMD, as have many others here at BC.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:22 PM

Thanks, i might do amd in the end.

Another question I have is what would be an effective wireless router? Cause the way my cable internet is set up, the internet cable goes to the 'computer room' which is 60 or so feet directly to my room (includes 6-7 walls). Would a wireless router be able to keep a good signal because when I do get a computer, it will be going in my room and I am a pretty avid gamer and play a lot of Counter Strike and now Battlefield 2. Or, will I have to like run some wire across the attic to get it connected to the internet once I purchase it.

#5 radiohead

radiohead

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:57 AM

you could get a wireless router, but you'll get a slower conenction than using wires

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:58 AM

Heh, I figured, the fun part I guess is going to be running the wire across the whole length of the house just to get it to my room.

Thanks,
Wizdabest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users