Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant startup, keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 aymster

aymster

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hi,

Was using desktop tonight when it froze up. Did a manual shutdown by pushing the power button on the front of the hard drive. Now when I go to start the computer it will not get past the screen where it says that the computer was shut down improperly and asks if I want to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, one other safe mode option and to restart windows normally. It does not matter which option I chose, the desktop does not want to start up. Am using laptop now but unsure what to do to get desktop going....please help

Thanls

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

If you use restore points, you could try:

System restore in safe mode, from the command prompt:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...emrestorecp.htm

F8 on reboot, choose: Safe Mode With Command Prompt
follow the instructions in the link.

If you can boot from a Windows XP CD, you could run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console.

Edited by petewills , 08 December 2009 - 09:59 AM.

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

If the above good advice does not work, post the details of the computer and brand and model if it is a Dell, HP, Compac or other OEM.

#4 kornhole

kornhole

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

What do you do when you've tried to start in safe mode using msconfig it takes me to menu safe mode, safemode with networking etc. No matter which I enter it keeps taking me back to the same menu and nothing happens?????? :thumbsup:

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

Don't know, only ever used F8.

Is this your method?

Close all open programs.
Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK.
The System Configuration Utility appears;
On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK
and Restart your computer when prompted.

The computer restarts in Safe mode.

Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode,
open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT"
and click OK to restart your computer.

#6 kornhole

kornhole

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:27 PM

Thanks but the computer won't go into sfe mode, just goes to the menu that says sfe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompts etc. then whatever you choose it just goes back to the same menu.?? :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

Hard shutdowns (forcing the system off, rather than going through shutdown procedures) has been known to cause damage to various files...including files which may be needed to boot the system successfully.

You can download the XP Recovery Console...and try to repair various files or run various RC commands which may help.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

The chkdsk /r suggested to the OP...would be a start.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

One or more of the following may be of use:

Stuck In A Loop - The Elder Geek on Windows XP - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27790

2Pure System Restore from Recovery Console - http://2pure.net/index.php?session=0&a...icle=1150238652

XP Reboot Loop, Budapest - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/244905/xp-reboot-loop/

Fix Windows XP Log On-Log Off Loop at Thinking in Pixels - http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...onlog-off-loop/

Louis

#8 kornhole

kornhole

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!! :thumbsup:

#9 kornhole

kornhole

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:38 AM

Ok , the computer would not go into safemode so I tried to re-boot from windows CD tried to repair windows, it starts the setup process then it says it can't finish setup because windows is in safemode?? Any Ideas?? :thumbsup:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

If you are not in safe mode when you try to install/repair XP using an XP CD...there is no reason to get that message unless you have somehow locked the system into safe mode or the files governing such are damaged.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 December 2009 - 10:49 AM.

#11 kornhole

kornhole

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

Yes, I tried to get into safemode... and the menu screen kept coming up no matter which sfemode option I took. So I tried to repair Windows using CD now it can't complete setup because it's in safemode ( I used msconfig in Windows to access sfemode orig.)

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

From http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/safemodeboot.php

"Do not attempt to boot into Safe Mode using MSCONFIG

Doing so can render your computer unbootable.

An infected computer is not stable, and by using the /SAFEBOOT option in MSCONFIG you are altering your Boot.ini file to make it boot ONLY in Safe Mode. If your computer fails to boot into Safe Mode, as it may well do, then you will be left in a position where you cannot boot at all.

Because your Safe Mode Registry Entries have been damaged by your infection your computer cannot boot into Safe Mode. You cannot boot to Normal Mode (because of the alterations you made to your Boot.ini file), so now you are left with a computer that will neither boot into Safe Mode nor Normal mode which is not a situation you want to be in.

Using the BOOTSAFE option in Super Anti-Spyware can also have the same outcome, as can using BOOTSAFE by SUPERAdBlocker."

Well...I suppose that you could try the bootcfg /rebuild command from the Recovery Console...or a manual edit of the boot.ini file. Using bootcfg /rebuild seems easier to me.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm, same instructions at Boot.ini Invalid or Windows Could Not Start - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184.

Louis

That may remove the current boot.ini and give you one that allows booting...I don't know.

#13 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:30 PM

Louis, can you confirm that this is a sensible method, or do you see a problem.

I'm not comfortable editing files this way, but the switch needs to be removed.

Safemode loop after using safemode through msconfig

Boot with your XP disk and go into Recovery Console, which you have been able to do.

This will put you into a Command Prompt window.

From here you will be able to edit the boot.ini to remove the Safe Mode switch.

From the command prompt type "edit boot.ini" and press enter. This will take you into the editor for the boot.ini.
Below is an example print out of boot.ini with Safe Mode and without Safe Mode switch.

Boot.ini with Safe Mode switch (this is what you should see or something similar - the /safeboot.minimal is the problem)
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal

Boot.ini without Safe Mode switch (this is what you need i.e. no safemode switch)
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Never had to do this, so I don't know.

Your info is very helpful.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

I, also, have never attempted this...I've never tried to edit anything from the Recovery Console.

Any attempt is more than I can come up with :thumbsup:.

Louis

#15 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

Thanks, I'll stick to the usual methods also.

I have seen suggestions for booting with a Linux distribution and replacing the boot.ini
but have no idea if it would work satisfactorily; could be a bit hit and miss.

I'd have to be totally stuck, before I attempted that.

Wonder how the OP is getting on.

Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users