Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modest build suggestions (not for gaming)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WLH33880

WLH33880

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

My old one is dying out (on board video going out). Not worth upgrading so I'll use it for a boat anchor!

This is what I'm looking for ( I'll keep it plain and simple)::
Case: Full size for expansion later is preferred, but not a biggie.
Mobo: Full size AMD mid grade like Asus
Processor: Phenom or whatever will be mid line
Memory: 2 gigs should do
Video card: Cheap (not a gamer, Maybe watch some youtube videos)
Hard drive: Definitely Sata about 500gb or less for the os ( I may put a second HD in later for storage)

Usage:
1/ I use it mostly with Quickbooks for my business. Quickbooks really drags an average computer so I need one that has decent speed and memory.
2/ Music library
3/ Currently have broadband but will be going to Fios (Heard its really fast!).

Budget: $400 to $600 (can go higher if really needed)

I have been looking through ALOT of posts and they are just about all on gaming pc builds.
I hope I've given you guys enough info to help me out.
Thanks guys in advance for taking the time to reply :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

About 550$ after rebates.
Posted Image
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:06 PM

In many ways, that's identical to the one I sent to the OP in a private message, below is that build.

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW - A simple but sturdy Mid ATX case. $49

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - This is a basic AM3 motherboard. It takes DDR3 and AMD's AM3 CPU's, but it does not have on-board video nor does it allow for Crossfire. Crossfire isn't needed since this isn't a gaming PC. $79 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz - This is a dual core CPU. You don't need a quad core or the higher calibur Phenom II architechture since you're not doing any video editing or gaming. $67

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 W0379RU 500W - To maintain the budget, I'm not going with Corsair or Silverstone. However, this is a decent mid-level PSU that will power everything, including the new generation of graphics cards. $59 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R465OC-1GI Radeon HD 4650 1GB - This is a pretty good graphics card that is cheap. I suggest downloading the drivers (The 4600 or 4650 series) from ATI's site after you get Windows up and running. $59 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

RAM: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - This motherboard uses DDR3 1333 or 1666 RAM. The 1333 RAM is, for some reason, a little more expensive than the 1600, so the computer will lower the speed of this RAM down to 1333. That is still pretty fast for a general purpose PC. The motherboard has four slots, so you can have 8GB if you want. $93

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB - I suggest this drive as it has plenty of space. The motherboard takes SATA so this drive will work pretty fast. I generally stay away from 10K RPM drives, it's usually not worth the added price. SSD's on the other hand will boot Windows in less than 30 seconds, as in, at the desktop and able to work. The only problem is the cost. $54

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - A simple drive is all you need. $31

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - The latest operating system. Remember, you need 64-bit to use 4GB or more of RAM. $104

Grand Total: $604 (Before Rebates) Once you factor in the rebates, you will be little over $500. You should stress test the components before you go cutting off UPC's to mail in.[/QUOTE]

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users