Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Troubles

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 the_moogleking

the_moogleking

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

I am running a brand-spanking-new computer with an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard (so you guys can know the BIOS) and Windows 7. It is currently using a Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB hard drive (this is a SATA drive). I wish to move files from my old Western Digital IDE drive to my new SATA drive. I figured I would do this by putting the jumper on the old IDE drive to "slave" position and inserting it into the machine, and then choosing to boot from the SATA drive in the BIOS.

However, some strange things happen. When the IDE drive ISN'T in the machine, I have the option in the BIOS to boot from my SATA drive, like normal. But when the IDE drive IS in the machine, the BIOS does not let me select booting from the SATA drive as a viable option. I have no idea why this is happening. Is there a problem with the BIOS? Or am I forgetting something important?

(Also, I do have an IDE DVD drive installed on this computer. It is currently using the farthest-out slot on the IDE cable, that is, the one farthest from the motherboard).

Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

I would suggest checking the jumpers on the DVD drive and the Western Digital hard drive. Make sure the DVD drive isn't set for CS or Cable Select.

Make the DVD drive Master and make sure the Western Digital Hard drive is set to Slave.

Once that is checked and set, you should now see both your DVD drive and your ide hard drive in both the bios and the operating system.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 the_moogleking

the_moogleking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:57 PM

Well in the BIOS, it already did say that the DVD drive was the IDE Master and the IDE hard drive was the IDE Slave... it just wanted to boot from it, for some odd reason.

I'll try double-checking, though.

EDIT: Yep, DVD drive is Master and IDE Hard Drive is Slave. It's just refusing to boot from the SATA...

Edited by the_moogleking, 07 December 2009 - 08:06 PM.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

I'm sorry but from what I can see in the manual, it's only giving very few options for bootup.

It may be worth an e-mail to asus regarding this issue and see if they have updated the bios to account for this.

Sorry but I wish I could be more help.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 the_moogleking

the_moogleking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

It's alright, I'll try updating the BIOS using their packaged tool and I'll see if I can get different results. Thank you for your help, anyway.

Edited by the_moogleking, 07 December 2009 - 08:34 PM.

#6 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

I hope you don't have another handle called "tymyshew". Otherwise, this may help: http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-device...cognized-2.html
Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

#7 the_moogleking

the_moogleking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:23 PM

He has the exact opposite problem that I do...my SATA drive isn't eligible for boot when the IDE drive is in (although it IS DETECTED...just not able to be put into the boot order list).

#8 the_moogleking

the_moogleking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Hmmm...after a Google, I saw some IDE to USB cables. How are those, and would I be able to use them to access my hard drive?

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

That should allow you to use the drive and retrieve your data without any problems. I use them quite often when trying to recover data from a drive that is either infected or is no longer going to be used in a new build.

The other option would be to get an external hard drive case that is usb and put your ide drive in it and use it for external storage.

An example would be this.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users