Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Rootkit and Trojans

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jonas4321

jonas4321

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

Hello!

I have a Windows XP Home SP3 Dell Laptop that has been infected. I am running AVG 9.0 (just upgraded from 8.5 in an attempt to rid this thing of the viruses) and MalWareBytes latest version.

I ran the Sophos Rootkit killer and it did find a rootkit and reported it eliminated. That was several weeks ago. AVG and MWB were also coming back as clean. I thought I was lucky to have killed things off! It all seemed quite clean until yesterday when it started blue-screening once in a while, and AVG was reporting infections. Same conditions as I originally experienced.

In an attempt to clean this, I ran MWB several times, and it starting with discovering 6 Vundo infections and ending up after several scans with zero infections. I also repeatedly ran AVG, and every time it reported that there were files in the AVG folder itself that were infected. These were reported as cured, but the same files again reported as being infected on the next scan (after AVG called for a reboot each time).

I ran StopZilla as a free scanner and it reported 20 infections (Vundo among them) and several references to rootkit infections.

I did some more research and landed on ComboFix as something to try. I read the instructions and felt safe running it (my data is backed up and doing a complete OS reload is not a problem). I had a real problem downloading it from BleepingComputer, as Computer Associates AV on my second PC kept killing the download from this site. claiming it was infected ("Win32/SillyDl.PRR") and deleting the file before it could be copied off to a thumb drive and transferred to the infected PC. I will post a separate question about that problem - this post is for the infection I am trying to cure.

I successfully downloaded ComboFix using the infected PC, disabled AVG per the instructions and ran ComboFix. It reported that it found a rootkit infection and requested a reboot. I complied, and when it restarted, it seemed to come up in a half-Safe mode. I ran ComboFix again and it ran through this time and gave me a log file.

I then re-enabled and ran AVG again and it found no problems.

I fear that I am still infected, however.

Any help would certainly be appreciated! I apologize I do not have screenshots - I did not pause to create them as I was trying to kill things off.

Jonas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

I would run ATF Cleaner next. This will clear out all of your "junk" files such as cookies and what not. WHen you open it place a check in the "Seclect All" box and then click on Empty Selected.

Next install, update and then run MBAM. Remove what it finds and then install, update and run SAS.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 jonas4321

jonas4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

I would run ATF Cleaner next. This will clear out all of your "junk" files such as cookies and what not. WHen you open it place a check in the "Seclect All" box and then click on Empty Selected.

Next install, update and then run MBAM. Remove what it finds and then install, update and run SAS.

Thanks for the response. All of this was accomplished. The results are:

ATF Cleaner was run as specified (had been previously too). Deleted a few files.
MBAM updated and run - nothing found (had been run multiple times previously)
Installed, updated, and ran SAS (this was new to this PC). Found 3 instances of "Trojan.Agent/Gen-Nullo[Short].Process". These were all in one Restore Point folder, but two were in different sub-folders:
RP345\A0024706.SYS
RP391\A0027630.DLL
RP391\A0027631.DLL

SAS asked for a reboot to remove these, and I did.

I re-updated and re-ran SAS after the reboot and it found nothing this time.

Can you give me a next step? I would hate to return this to my friend's wife if it's still infected. Last time it was thought to be clean, only to have this happen again. She does not surf except for Juno email, and is careful with attachments. She feels like it never got fixed the first time, and I am wondering myself.

Thanks!

#4 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

Can you please post your latest Malwarebytes log for me even though it didn't find anything, it can be found under the "Logs" tab of the program.
Computer Pro

#5 jonas4321

jonas4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

Can you please post your latest Malwarebytes log for me even though it didn't find anything, it can be found under the "Logs" tab of the program.

Sure!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
Database version: 3323
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

2009-12-08 15:48:21
mbam-log-2009-12-08 (15-48-21).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 162833
Time elapsed: 27 minute(s), 48 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

Ok, lets do a little clean up before you leave.

You are running Internet Explorer 6. The latest version is 8. Running an outdated browser exposes your computer to vulnerabilities. Please get the latest version here:

Internet Explorer 8.

Also make it your default browser if it is not already because it is the safest browser on the market. Also make sure that you Turn the SmartScreen filter On.

Let me know once you have done this.
Computer Pro

#7 jonas4321

jonas4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:46 PM

Ok, lets do a little clean up before you leave.

You are running Internet Explorer 6. The latest version is 8. Running an outdated browser exposes your computer to vulnerabilities. Please get the latest version here:

Internet Explorer 8.

Also make it your default browser if it is not already because it is the safest browser on the market. Also make sure that you Turn the SmartScreen filter On.

Let me know once you have done this.

Seriously, go BACK to IE? She is running Firefox 3.5 and has been off of IE for years because it was so full of holes. She never launches IE. I am going to have a hard sell to tell her that IE is now preferred over Firefox. Unless you have some concrete evidence I can share with her.

EDIT- I am doing the IE 8 upgrade anyway, but still need ammo to tell her to switch to it.

Edited by jonas4321, 09 December 2009 - 04:48 PM.

#8 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

Heres a recent report on browsers that I think she may love to take a look at. That is the overall summary of the long report. It should do the job to convince her.

http://nsslabs.com/test-reports/Q309_Brows...mmary_Final.pdf

Edited by Computer Pro, 09 December 2009 - 04:50 PM.

Computer Pro

#9 jonas4321

jonas4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

IE8 installed, SmartScreen Filter enabled, set as default (though I don't think that the article you presented is as completely objective as it could be - it uses Firefox 3.0 against 8, plus it fails to mention the configuration needed to really secure IE8 as opposed to the default settings for Firefox, but I am not here to debate browsers right now).

Next?

#10 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

They would both block the same amount of malware (Firefox 3 vs. 3.5), and the default configuration is all that is needed for Internet Explorer to be as secure as is proven. And note that it is not by a Microsoft company, so there is no bias opinion. All browser's were tested "Out of the box" with no configuration changes.

And then finally to complete the cleanup process:

Create a new Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "Ok"
Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
Click Yes, then click Ok.
Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Computer Pro

#11 jonas4321

jonas4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

All done.

#12 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

Then you should be good to go. Thanks for visiting us here at Bleeping Computer and come back if you have any other problems, we would be happy to help you.

Happy Browsing!
Computer Pro

#13 jonas4321

jonas4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:24 AM

Thanks, hope I don't have to! Happy holidays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users