Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freezes no reason, shop techs won't help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bobdor

bobdor

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

I have HP Pavillion, Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit OS, Service Pack 2, 6.00 GB Ram
I bought it Feb/09. It ran no problems for about 6 months, when the video card fan became faulty and Future Shop replaced it with a replacement from HP. They say they put exactly the same card in but with a new fan model which HP has upgraded. All drivers were updated at that time and checked for updates since.
Then the computer started freezing. Completely freezes, no mouse, no keyboard, no notion if screen saver is on. The only way to shut down is hold in on/off button. Then start with on/off button.
Computer may run a week, then freeze 2 or 3 times in a day. It is never predictable. It will freeze when downloading, when doing nothing, when using media center and watching movie, or when no programs are running.
Future Shop says there is no other problem. The problem is whenever they have it in the shop, it will not freeze. I think they just won't look at it long enough for it to freeze.
I have run Malwarebytes and found some adware but that is all. I have run AVG anti-virus and found nothing.
So I am thinking it may be temperature related but not sure how to check that. It may have something running in the background but there is always something running all the time normally.
But most of all, I still think it is video card related. It did freeze a couple of times before the video card was replaced over the 6 months, but dozens of times since the new card was put in. The techs in the shop say there is nothing wrong with the card. ??
Can you help me. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

Well if it didn't happen before the new card was put in then I would venture to say it's probably got something to do with that **bleeping** video card. In Windows Vista you can check the drivers for the device by going to start --> control panel --> System and Maintenance (in regular view) or Device Manager (in classic view) --> System (in regular view) --> Device Manager (in regular view).

Once in Device Manager look for Display Adapters --> click the + next to it and now you should see a line for your video adapter. Double click on it and another window will open. See if it says whether or not the device is working properly. You may want to check online and see if there are possibly any drivers/updates for it as well. I'd put my foot in the ass of the tech(s) telling you there's nothing wrong as well!
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 bobdor

bobdor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

Hi azfreetech
So I followed your path. It says the device is working properly. I checked for update drivers online again and it wants to install one. However, when it tries to install, I lose all picture to the monitor and it goes black and shuts the power off to the monitor. I then have to restore last know configuration to openwindows again. So I won't do that again. So any other suggestions??
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users