Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira not detecting Antivirus Pro/Live Virus

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mwagner17

mwagner17

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

Is there a reason that Avira AntiVir Personal is not stopping this Antivirus Pro/Live virus from infecting the system? I have had it on a few machines now and also friends are asking me about it like crazy. Avira is set to update everyday and is updating. What will prevent this virus from infecting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

Is Avira's guard automatically blocking the program from running?
Go to the "local protection" tab in Avira's interface, and then to "guard" and it will show the last infected file found.

#3 mwagner17

mwagner17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

Thank you for your reply. No, it is not detecting it at all. The guard is enabled, dat file updated every day. The virus installed undetected. All of the machines I have that are running Avira have nothing recorded for last virus found. It's weird. Almost like Avira does not have the info for it. From what I have read, this seems like a huge one spreading.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:45 PM

Try scanning with SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, one of those should be able to get rid of it.

#5 mwagner17

mwagner17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

Yes, I have no trouble getting rid of it. I run rkill on it and then scan with Malwarebytes. But I would like to know why Avira is letting it through in the first place. I am guessing Avira is not a good AV program anymore?

#6 Louiseshearman8

Louiseshearman8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

I'm having the same problem. It seems like the virus is gone now, because I scanned with malwarebytes and superantispyware, but i'm pretty sure it's still there. Whenever i try to play a divx vid in firefox, chrome or ie it displays an error message (i.e. the on where it asks for the error report or not) and shutsdown. I've tried so many different things. Like these 8 steps: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html
But nothing seems to be working. I'm not that knowledgeable about computers so I don't know what else to do! Can someone help?

#7 mwagner17

mwagner17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

I am not having a problem with the virus not being gone. All machines that have had it, I have completely removed the virus and it they are running fine. I am just looking for a block to prevent the virus from installing on these or other machines.

#8 Louiseshearman8

Louiseshearman8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:43 PM

How did you remove the virus exactly?

#9 mwagner17

mwagner17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

Used the rkill.com program I downloaded from a post on this board. That stopped the process. then removed with with Malwarebytes. Gets rid of it just fine. I also had to go into LAN settings in IE Explorer (7, but I'm sure its the same for all) and uncheck Use Proxy. The virus checks that to prevent web browsing... and or connection to virus scanning tools for updates.

But again, I am having no issues with removing this virus. No machine that has had it got it again. I just keep getting it on other machines which are running Avira but Avira never detects it. The Virus just installs.

#10 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

I am obviously not going to try to infect myself to test Avira's detection of this, but I have Comodo running with Defense+ enabled, so I'm pretty sure if Avira misses it, Comodo would snag it right away.

#11 mwagner17

mwagner17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

cool thanks! how about the real time watch of malwarebytes, is that good?

thanks!!

#12 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

I've never used the pro version of Malwarebytes (which is the only way you can get the real time protection from them), but it is a very good scanner so I can only guess that the real time protection is quite good. I like using the Defense+ feature of Comodo firewall, but you can use programs such as Spybot Seach and Destroy's Tea Timer (which monitors ANY changes to the registry, good or bad) or SpywareGuard to be alerted/warned whenever malware is found to be on your computer, and before it can be executed to cause harm.

Edited by xblindx, 09 December 2009 - 06:33 PM.

#13 mwagner17

mwagner17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

Thanks!!! I appreciate your help! My thought on the Real Time for Malwarebytes is the same since it is a great scanner… but I did install Comodo on a machine today. I’m going to put that on a few machines and roll with it!

Thanks!! You guys are great!

#14 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

Happy to help :thumbsup:
And yeah, I would try out Comodo to see how you like it first, since it's free and the pro version of Malwarebytes costs money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users