Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mshta.exe over running my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deadbait

deadbait

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

for the past week or so my computer will after being on for awhile strt to work slow and the fan will blow excesiveley,when i check 100% of the cpu is being used and mshta.exe shows up 10-15times in my processes. i have went to windows/system32 and found a few mshta.exe document that were recently made and not supposed to be there and deleted them, but it is still doing it.pleas help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

Well here's what I found....

"mshta.exe is used by Windows Operating System. mshta.exe is required to open .hta files. I think its not safe to close this exe because it support your operating system ..."

Is that process putting an excessive load on your CPU?
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 deadbait

deadbait
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

yes its slowing my computer down and using 100% of my cpu and its running about 15times in processes and i will wiat till it does it again and take a screenshot for you guys to see.

Edited by deadbait, 07 December 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#4 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

If there are that many instances of it open then it sounds like it's being used by something. I would run RKill first, just to kill any rootkit process that may be starting up when you turn your computer on. Here are some DL links for the Rkill....

LINK 1
LINK 2
LINK 3
LINK 4

Save it to your desktop and then double click to launch it (With Vista you need to right click and select run as administrator). You should see a little black window open and then close. If you see that box then it worked. If you don't see the black box then delete the file and use another download link and repeat the steps.

After this, install, update and then run Malwarebytes. Remove what it finds and then install, update and run SUPERANtiSpyware. Remove what it finds as well.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#5 deadbait

deadbait
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:24 AM

heres a very bad xcreen shot but if you look mshta.exe shows up about 10times its been more then that before and it slows my computer down.
Posted Image

Edited by deadbait, 08 December 2009 - 05:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users