Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista and Router problems, sporadic internet, have IP, DNS?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 petegibbons7

petegibbons7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster...

I'm going to be as specific as possible, please ask me questions if there's anything that's unclear and ANY AND ALL suggestions are greatly GREATLY appreciated!! I work from home and need my internet!

I have a home-built PC with a Asus P5B motherboard which has on board 2 Marvell Yukon Ethernet jacks. In most cases both work just fine. Vista named one "Local Area Connection" and the other "Local Area Connection 2." Since I moved, however, I have greatly increased internet problems. I'll try to explain in the most logical way.

At first there were no problems, but recently, I would say, on average, I have about 10 minutes of internet (outside of the LAN) access to about 30 minutes of NO internet access. I am assigned IPv4 address by my router DHCP style (it's a netgear router) and retain that address even if in the net is inaccessible. Sometimes my status SAYS I have net access though I don't actually have it! Then, oftentimes, it flips back to "local only." Vista recognizes my network, can see other computers in my apartment's domain (and even ping them) but no net access. When clicking "diagnose" in the network center, I get "cannot communicate with the DNS (192.168.1.1)". I can't ping my router (also the 192.168.1.1 IP). I can ping other computers on the network. I can ping my own computer. Doing a release-flushdns-renew via cmd and ipconfig worked once for...you guessed it...10 minutes. Resetting netsh caches do not work.

I am WIRED. I am not wireless. I tried running windows update, have updated drivers, updated my network drivers, etc. No dice there. I have tried turning off the firewall, manually setting IP adresses and manually giving subnet/DNS servers, etc, etc. NO dice. I have tried disabling IPv6, resetting the jacks, unplugging and plugging back in, moving from one plug to another (each plug gets a separate IP from the router). I go through the release/flushdns/renew in ipconfig everytime I make any of the above changes.

My OSX partition (yes, my OSX partition) takes probably 5 min to get internet access (same case as in vista: gets IP address but network diagnostics in OSX shows a yellow or red status light for "ISP" and "server" for about 5 min then goes green and I'm fine as long as I keep my computer on) but no problems once it gets net access unlike in vista which is extremely erratic.

I don't know what's wrong?!? It's obviously something with the way vista is talking to our goofy router. But no one else in the house, wired or wireless, has any problems with net access. My wireless devices don't have problems. My roommate set it up so no one is getting same/similar IP addresses from the DHCP. One more thing, we have a bridged wireless router (with a wired switch) along with our cable modem/also wired router. Now, whether I use the wireless router OR the wired router/modem-in-one, the SAME symptoms apply either way.

I've deduced the problem to: not being hardware related, not being an actual physical problem with the wire/cable or any connections, not the router rejecting my computer or some strange hardware communication, not a firewall issue, not multiple IPs on the same domain. I think it's either some deeply ingrained problem with vista not communicating correctly with this router OR a problem with the two routers causing some sort of communication issue with my PC only (why I'm not sure). If I wait, on average, 30 minutes, then do a release/flush/renew on ipconfig, it often will work for 10 min again before halting.

By the way, of the other computers on the network, mine runs vista with problems, one wired computer runs XP with no problems, and a slew of wireless computers running XP or Vista or telephone/iPhones running wireless with no problems.

Please help!

Addition: here's the ipconfig output (yes, I'm paranoid I wrote over some physical and IP addresses just because I'm paranoid)

[codebox]
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxx
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gig
net Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-xx-75-xx-34
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.xx(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 07, 2009 5:50:
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 14, 2009 5:50:
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010
it Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-xx-F3-xx-xx-FE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interfa
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
[/codebox]

Edited by petegibbons7, 07 December 2009 - 07:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:01 PM

Well you did a good job deducing that the issue is your PC and not the network. Unless you are the only one plugged into that router?

Now you said this started after you moved. So it was working fine somewhere else? or the issue got worse?

Does rebooting fix the issue? or have you tried that?

The thing that is baffling me, while this is going on you can't surf because you aren't communicating with your default gateway but you can ping the other PCs on the network.

You said you tried static IP and DNS. What did you put in for your DNS servers? Cause you could try that again and use 4.2.2.2 as a DNS server. Its an old one and good test ping.

It seems you live in a house with a few people. Is it possible for you to run a test maybe late or later at night? Is it possible to connect your PC directly to the cable modem? You'd only have to do it for like 15 mins to see if you lose connection. You'd just unplug from the router, unplug the router from the modem and plug your wire into the modem. Do a ipconfig release/renew, no need to do the flushdns, and surf for a bit. If its not possible ok.

Just to check something, can you go to this page and look at the power management. I know the page is geared toward a laptop but it'll get you in the same place. Change everything to Never. See if that helps. I dunno if it will or not. But its worth a shot.

Now I am all for messing with networking crap for days because it is fun for me. But when it comes to my main PC, I need it to work. I don't have time to play. So if you are in the same boat and just need it to work, you could do a over install of Windows 7 or if you can restore it back to when it worked. I'd try the restore first.

also you don't need to be paranoid with your MAC address or 192 IP addresses. And you changed your IP address but left your default gateway, DHCP and DNS. lol

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 petegibbons7

petegibbons7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

Hi CaveDweller, thanks so much for your informative and very helpful response.

At this point, I am now manually configured, using a manually entered IP, DNS and gateway, etc, etc--the exact same symptoms still exist: erratic internet connection, always at least local access, and can ping other computers/clients on the domain but NOT the actual router itself.

Pinging 4.2.2.2 does not do anything, get a "request timed out" whenever I have "no internet/local only" access but 4.2.2.2 works fine with internet access. Rebooted a number of times, particularly after flushing caches, still no go. My computer was indeed working fine elsewhere, at both my old home and my university. It's only on this network that it's not working so fine though other computers on the network, when they're connected to the network, do run fine at all times. In other words, I don't think hooking directly to the cable modem will make a difference (though again, this cable modem is a modem-and-router-in-one which I was hooked into for awhile) because all other computers run fine on the network with consistent internet access; I don't run fine no matter where I'm connected and no matter how many computers are connected to the internet. At the moment I'm typing this, no one else is in my apartment and from what I can tell there are no computers on the network and still I'm having these problems.

You're right CaveDweller, it's very strange that I can ping other computers on the network (requiring me to go THROUGH the very router I'm not getting net access to) and yet I can't ping the gateway itself. I'm going through the gateway but can't ping the danged gateway itself! It's crazy! I am not the only computer plugged into that router, we have one other wired computer running XP plugged into that router plus a number (less than 5 at any one time though) of wireless devices.

I understand what you mean about windows 7 or something similar. That's fine but I can't really afford the software at the moment. Soon, perhaps, but not for now. For most normal operations my OSX is also fine but there are a number of windows "conveniences" that I like to make use of. It scares me to think I'm going to have to dedicate hours and hours again to working linux on a full-time basis (though I love linux, and I love the GNU concept and all that, I'm a huge Fedora fan) when I just want to continue working...which I'm sure many of you can understand as well.

And yes, alas, I unsuccessfully attempted to "hide" a significant amount of addresses and code in my printout that was unnecessary...I didn't have time to delete it because I wanted to get this out before I lost the 'net access once again! Haha...

This brings me to my LAST AND NEW DISCOVERY: it seems to me, just seems to me (I haven't timed it or anything more technical) that if I remain some kind of consistent upload/download somewhere (I'm downloading Fedora 12 from friendly-torrent servers) I can stay connected to the internet! Why is THAT?! I've been at it for over 10 minutes now and it's still downloading. It's when I'm not doing anything significant on the 'net for awhile that I "loose" it. Surely there isn't some netgear setting that "cuts you off" after a certain amount of inactivity, no? And even if it does, resetting and troubleshooting doesn't do anything anyway! What in the world else could it be?

THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH for your input. This little bit of help is very...well, helpful!

#4 petegibbons7

petegibbons7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

I have a new update for this, still lots of troubles, any help would be appreciated.

To see if this problem was DHCP related, I changed all my settings to manual and gave myself a new IP (not one that any other computer on the network uses) and manually entered my gateway, router, DNS info, etc. The EXACT same symptoms occur when all of this is manually entered...about 3 minutes of internet activity to 13 minutes (or more) of no internet access. The 4.2.2.2 test ping, etc also show the same symptoms. A few minutes of 'net access followed by many more without...

If I continuously download or upload SOMETHING, just communicate on some level on the internet, I can usually keep my net connection (note, as above, that my IP and everything is always fine, I don't lose anything on the domain, just my internet access) as long as there's some traffic moving through my computer. Any inactivity disables this, however.

Please help if you can! I would appreciate any help at all! Thanks all!

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:48 AM

Explain to me a little more about the setup. You talk of 2 routers, one in bridged mode as just an access point. Can you explain to me the entire setup?

Which router are you plugged into?

How many others are plugged into the same router as you?

What is the make and model of: the modem? the router? and the bridged router?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users