Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop: 7B

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chanman

chanman

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

I have an older dell laptop with windows 2000 pro on it and after the power flickered on and off a few times in the house I tried to restart it and al I get is the dreaded blue screen with the 7B error on it. I have tried to boot in every mode possible ( safe, safe with net, last good config, etc.) and I cannot do anything to get passed this screen halfway through boot up. I have a copy of windows xp pro I tried to install over top of it and it wont even let me do that says it encounters an error press f3 to restart. I bought this used off a guy and do not have the windows 2000 disks is there any way to fix this at all or without the disks?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

I have tried to boot in every mode possible ( safe, safe with net, last good config, etc.

You did go into the BIOS and set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device, correct?
When you're in the BIOS, check and make sure the hard drive is recognized
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 chanman

chanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

Yes I did set the cd drive first and yes it does recognize everything as if it is normal just will not boot up in any way. Just to check again I tried every boot order in every way possible to boot and still get about 3/4 through the start up and get the blue screen inaccessible boot device. As stated everything worked just fine before the power cut in and out in the whole house while the laptop was on and on the charger. Also just tried to go in through the directory service mode and no luck there either with the default start up or the last known config

Edited by chanman, 07 December 2009 - 06:58 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

Go to the manufacturer's support sit for your hard drive and download their diagnostic utility.
See if it will run. Maybe your hard drive went south
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 chanman

chanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

I can try to do that but how can I run it on this laptop when it wont even boot? It does have wireless connection when it runs and my main has burners to burn a program to disk. Can I downlad this program and burn to disk and then somehow run it without it booting to the os?

I did find a program for the drive...Found out its a Hitachi 08k2825 drive and found a OGT program for it...got it downloaded on my main computer but dont know what to do next to get it on my laptop or how to run it on it. Does this program sound right or should I be looking for something else?

Edited by chanman, 09 December 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Are you saying the laptop will not even turn on so you can access the BIOS screen
When you first turn on the laptop, you start tapping the F2 key
This will take you into the BIOS
When you're there you change the boot order to have the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device
Once that is done you put the diagnostic CD in the drive and restart the computer and follow the prompts
Mark
Posted Image

#7 chanman

chanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

Yes it does let me in to the bios to change the boot order....How do I take the program and make it a bootable cd so it will run? I used nero and another burning program to burn a couple copys of it but cannot get it to boot from the disk. Any suggestions on a easy free burning program to make a good copy to work?

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/201611/how-to-burn-an-iso-file/
Mark
Posted Image

#9 chanman

chanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

Ok I must be really dumb but I cant figure this out. I have the ImgBurn program now but the file I need to write to disc is not a iso image. First off the whole file is a .exe then I open that and have the analysis.cab file which I assume is the program that needs to run so how do I get that to an iso and do I have to use a dvd or can I just use a regular cd when I figure out how to burn it.

#10 chanman

chanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

I have tried every avenue possible and cannot get imgburn to burn a copy of the analysis program I need to run and try to recover this hard drive...My new question is I do have a sereial cable to go to my main computer to my laptop..Is there a possible way to get that program through the serial cable ports from main to my laptop and get the program to run? Only other option I have is a usb cable but I dont have one here at the moment so wanted to try the serial to serial first before I went out and bought a usb cable...Any help appreciated.

#11 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:15 AM

most of the utilties are meant to be run from dos or are bootable in their own right. Create a bootable floopy from My computer and run it like that.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users