Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp sp 3 hdd regenerator

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chanman

chanman

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

Added a new drive to my computer because the previous one is having all kinds of loading problems and missing files. Does anybody know of a good free hdd regenerator program to run or another way to clean up the other drive that I currently have running as a slave to the new one. I did find some regenerator programs in a search but they want more than what the new drive was to clean up the old one. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

I would go for the safest option and try this here http://download.cnet.com/HDD-Regenerator/3...4-10330123.html at least you know its being downloaded from a safe site !

Cheers :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

Have you tried a simple format?

If you need to recover files from the drive then you should be able to prior to formatting with it hooked up as a slave.

Edited by ThunderZ, 07 December 2009 - 03:24 PM.

#4 chanman

chanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

I do believe I have everything off it that I need so I was thinking about just reformatting it just didint know if it would be easier to use a regenerator.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

Have read many arguments as to the effectiveness of hdd regenerators. Some say they only mark bad sectors so they are not written to. The writters\sellers of the programs say they actually repair the sectors.

The problems you describe are possibly from a corrupt OS due to any number of reasons. Not necessarily from surface damage. A simple format will of course wipe all files clean and leave you with a fresh disk surface to use.

#6 chanman

chanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

Ive never really ran a slave hard drive what all is involved and is there anything out there that shows the best way to set one up? Like does it have to have a os? Both have win xp pro but obviously the one is corrupt. Can I just wipe it completely clean and use it like that or should I try to fix the windows on it?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

A slave drive does not need an OS.

What is the make and model of the drive? I`m guessing it has a PATA connection. = wide probably gray cable connecting it to the mobo. If this is the case then there will also be a jumper on the back of the drive. This will need to be moved to the slave position. There may be a diagram on the drive to point you to the proper position. Then connect the drive to the middle connector of the cable. Connect the power cable and mount it in the case. Start the PC. Right click on My Computer > click on manage > click on Dislk Management. The new drive should show up with no drive letter. Right click and select format. Once it is done you can then right click and assign a drive letter.

If it is a SATA drive then there is no jumper. Plug in the mobo cable, power cable then follow the directions from right clicking on My Computer.

#8 chanman

chanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

Its a maxtor drive 40gb I forget the model number but I already installed it with the jumper removed it says it is in slave mode and I did get it all installed and plugged in correctly I assume. It does have its own drive letter though from what you said dont know if that should be.Ill try to follow your directions and format it, Thanks.

Ok I did get it to format it said everything was cleared. What is the best way to set everything up then or the best way to use it? Basically I just download some programs and other items then delete them soon after. I really dont do anything that requires lots of storage space. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by chanman, 07 December 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

As far as assigning a drive letter, that is totally up to you. It can be made any letter that is already not in use.

Or, for example. If your OS drive is C: (normally the case) and you have one optical drive = D: You can alter the optical drive letter to E: then make your slave drive D:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users