Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cold Computer = History automatically deleted?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nicoleypoleyoley

nicoleypoleyoley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:35 PM

Not sure if this is the correct topic section, but it was here or the website one, and since this is more overall, I chose here. If I am incorrect, please move this to the correct one, thanks.

So, back in February of this year, the computer I'm currently using died on me.
Then I got a netbook from a friend. It's an Acer Aspire 1 and I have a Windows Update error on it which I need to purchase an external DVD rom thing for and fix that up or do the USB thing and basically do the same thing I did to my current computer.

After I fixed my computer, finally, (an approximate time of 6 months or so), I could get back in and I fixed everything.
A lot of my browsing history, if not all of it was gone. The history, not the bookmarks.

I was wondering - If the computer is "inactive" for a long time, does the browsing history automatically delete? Or was this the virus?
How long would it take for it to delete, if it does?

Thanks !

(I realize this should be moved to the web browsing section, after re-reading. I apologize. Thanks in advance.)

EDIT: Moved to a more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 07 December 2009 - 01:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

If you have ran scans and cleaned the pc out then all the caches will of been cleaned out anyway, because all browsing history is deleted along with all temporary files and folders !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

I agree with doinmeedin, temporary file cleaners (such as CCleaner) will remove your cache/history/cookies. Some malware scanners also remove cookies for privacy reasons (tracking your browsing).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users