Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE - not getting through to sites 3rd time and after

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blueczar

blueczar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:21 PM

Just this problem that I had yesterday - Internet Explorer is not working on one of my computers.. both computers use the same connection, so I know that my connection is working (I'm sitting here on the other computer)

What happens on the other computer is that just after I start it, I go into Internet Explorer and the internet seems to work fine for the first 2 sites I go to (I know it is actually getting through to these sites because it showed me a list of recently updated messages which couldn't have been cached or whatever thats called)

But then I try going to another site and it brings up the message that the page can't be displayed. After that every site I try going to comes up with the same can't be displayed message.

This problem only first happened yesterday, it used to work fine before that, so I don't know whats going on?

I just tried it again, and the same thing happened. I went straight into IE, Google worked, then Blogger worked, then Livejournal didn't work and every site I tried doing after that (including Google and Blogger) didn't work at all with the "The page cannot be displayed" error message.

I did a full virus scan on Norton AntiVirus last night and there was no problems, also did a Spyhunter scan which didn't find anything

If anyone could help that would be great thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:00 PM

update - I just noticed that even though I can't access any websites, I was still able to upload a photo using the Hello program, and also download an email using Outlook, so the connection is definately working, IE just doesn't want to show me any sites ?

I'm sure that Internet Explorer works just after I start the computer now, I was looking at task manager as the computer was starting, and some of the processes were still starting up when IE was working, then after a short while it wouldn't work at all, so this means that some process starts which stops IE from wanting to work? that makes sense doesn't it???

Edited by blueczar, 13 August 2005 - 03:38 AM.

#3 starship

starship

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:57 AM

Might you have ZoneAlarm, my friend?

#4 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:10 AM

No I don't have it? whats that?

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:31 AM

ZoneAlarm is a firewall.

Understanding and Using Firewalls
Posted Image

#6 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:05 PM

oh ok I have Norton Firewall, but I seemed to have fixed the problem, well not really, but found a way round it by using a different browser..

I figure it must be something wrong with the settings in IE, because I downloaded Firefox browser and it worked, than I imported settings across from IE and I couldn't access any sites.

So I downloaded Netscape browser and this time didn't import settings across and the browser works now. Is there some way of reseting IE settings to their original???

#7 neochivers

neochivers

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:06 PM

What changed since it workeed?
"If anything goes wrong blame it on the guy who cant speak english" : Homer Simpson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users