Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up compatibility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

I have had yet another crash and burn with my desktop. I am being told that my hard drive is fried and most likely my video card. My question is this:

I used the Vista back up feature to back up my entire PC. Can I use this back up to get my data files, pictures and videos back under the Windows 7 64 bit environment?

I am thinking that I would install Windows 7 but I need to get my files back and they were saved using the Vista back up entire PC feature. Or should I just stick with the Vista 32 bit right now?

My reasoning for doing this is that I bought a laptop with Windows 7 64 bit OS to at least get me my emails and such until my desktop machine is fixed. I really would like to be running the same OS on both systems to be able to use the Workgroup feature that Windows 7 offers.

Any help would be appreciated!

TryN :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dimrealm

dimrealm

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

In Windows 7, you can use the Disk Management applet of the Computer Management tool to attach, i.e. mount a VHD file. This also works with Vista’s backup images. Disk Management can be accessed by right clicking on “Computer” in the Start Menu and selecting “Manage”. In the Action Menu, you will find the “Attach VHD” option. This will mount the VHD file to a drive letter.

#3 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:36 PM

Okay, I think that I understand that process. But then could I open the files and folders I want and bring them right into the Windows 7 environment and get rid of the VHD mount stuff?
Sorry, not a techie. I just want to run a standard OS and no fancy virtual hard drives or anything of that nature. (Seems like I have enough problems keeping my machine from dying as it is)

Thanks
TryN :huh:

#4 dimrealm

dimrealm

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

Yes you should be able to copy over any files into the Win7 installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users