Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need to get Outlook off as default email..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 walkingheart

walkingheart

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:43 AM

OK, I have Windows XP Home and I would like to get Outlook not to be my email client when I click on someones email in a webpage..When I click on one now it brings my Outlook addy up..I don't want that..I'd like the option to use my email address..I've tried to go into the control panel and change the default there..It wouldn't let me choose but a few Microsoft emails and wouldn't let me Uncheck Outlook..Can anybody Help Me?? any advice on how to do this if it can be done..If not, I'd like to know I can't..I would think there's a way..Thanks in Advance
'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:01 AM

You should be able to go straight to the required mail program and just make it the default.

Otherwise, open Outlook:

Tools / Options / Other / General - uncheck 'make Outlook the default program', etc / apply / OK.

You then set the email default handler in the email program which you wish to use.
For example, if you wanted to use Outlook Express, you would open Outlook Express,
select Tools / Options and at the bottom of the box, where it says: 'Default messaging Programs',
you have the option to make the email and news programs your default.

Depends on which mail program you want to use, you generally find the relevant command in 'Tools' or 'Options' or 'preferences'.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:24 AM

FWIW: If you have no other program selected as your email client and you have MS Office installed...Outlook sets itself up as the email client. In fact, it does this even if you have already set OE (example) as your email client.

Since you use webmail, it's unlikely that you have ever set OE up as your email client...in which case, that would further explain Outlook taking over.

The simple way to eliminate Outlook obnoxious behavior...is to uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs. Any part of MS Office can be uninstalled in this manner.

Louis

<<...when I click on someones email in a webpage...>>

I'm interpreting this as indicating that you use webmail.

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2009 - 10:26 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

The simple way to eliminate Outlook obnoxious behavior...is to uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs. Any part of MS Office can be uninstalled in this manner.

Unless walkingheart means Outlook Express instead of Outlook. Sometimes people say Outlook when they really mean OE.
OE is included with XP. If Outlook is removed, OE will open when a Mail To: link is clicked on. That's the nature of Mail To: links-an email client will open. If it's not configured to work with your email servers, you'll have to close it out and sign in to your webmail in order to send messages when you do click on Mail To: Whatever you do, you'll have an email client open when you use a Mail To link.

There is a work-around. If the email address you are using can be set up to work with OE, you can configure OE to send only. You'll need to enable this option when you set it up initially if you don't want all your messages to be downloaded from your email server into the client. OR you set it up to keep a copy on the server. You'll have messages in OE and webmail. I'm not familiar with other email clients, but they also will give you these options.

If you choose to set up an email client using one of these options, let us know which program you want to use so we can give you instructions on how to do them when you configure it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 December 2009 - 11:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users