Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cookies/index data file

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 saumhaus

saumhaus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:52 PM

In my username cookies folder I have 800 cookie files I would like to delete, but also in there is Index dat file and it wont let me delete anything do to something else using it, so how do I move it or go about deleting all those cookies? I have tried safe mode, I also tried a dos cmd prompt I found on the internet but it didn't work either. There are lots of utilities that might work, but it is just one file in the cookie folder. I must not be the only one with this problem. Win XP SP2 All updates, AVG antivirus, Zone Alarm, Cable HS behind a router. TIA Ronnie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:11 PM

Download, install, update and run AdAware Se (freeware)
After you run it and let it quarantine all the cookies (and whatever other adware it may find, download, install, update and run Spybot Search and Destroy.

Let us know the results.

*AdAware SE: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

#3 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:48 PM

Please see if This Helps.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#4 saumhaus

saumhaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

Spybot didn't find anything, and Ad-aware found a few data miner cookies, thats not the answer, I guess if all else fails I might have to pay for a utility such as Tracks Eraser, anyway thanks to both of you for resopnses. Ronnie

#5 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:23 PM

This program will not only erase index.dat files but let you view them as well.
Posted Image

#6 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:25 PM

Forgot to mention to read the FAQs before installing
Posted Image

#7 saumhaus

saumhaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:32 AM

unrepper: That program works great and the price is right. Cleaned all those cookies out, and recreated index.dat, thats all thats in that folder for now. Thanks for referral. Ronnie

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

If you need to delete your index.dat files you can do it with Ccleaner. Its a freebie.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 saumhaus

saumhaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:59 PM

unreppern, need help, Index.dat.suite worked great on my desktop with XPSP2 but I cant get it to work on my notebook which also has XPSP2, notebook 5 years newer. It got rid of most of them, but not username/cookies/index.dat. Sometimes I need simple instructions. Do you have any suggestions? TIA Ronnie

#10 saumhaus

saumhaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:59 PM

CCCleaner worked on both my desktop and notebook, thanks to all. Ronnie

#11 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:28 PM

Hello, Go to the "Control Panel" and open "Internet Options". Select "Delete Cookies"and click "OK", then select "Delete Files", put a check in the box that reads "Delete all offline content" and select "ok", then select "clear History" and then "yes". This will keep your internet files cleaned out. You should do this weekly if you use the internet a lot. Hope this was helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users