Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ActiveArmor Hardware Firewall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 th4u

th4u

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:24 AM

My system is WinXP Pro SP3 with IE 8.

My motherboard, ASUS A8N-SLi Premium, had come with ActiveArmor, which is known for problems. ActiveArmor was designed by NVIDIA, but didn't supported any more. I've tried to remove/disable it, but I do not have Network Access Manager in the Add or Remove Programs. There are only (NVIDIA related):
- NVIDIA Drivers (v.1.10)
- NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager (v125.24)
- NvMixer
The search results for 'Network Access Manager' were as follows:
- NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager.msi ___ C:\Documents and Setting\...
- Network Access Manager ___ C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\NVIDIA Corporation
- Network Access Manager ___ C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation

Till now I was able to remove an ActiveArmor's icon from the system tray by disabling it via Windows Services:
1. Start --> Run, type: services.msc and click OK. This will bring Windows Services menu where you can change system settings.
2. Scroll down to Forceware IP Service and double click it.
3. Click the "Stop" button and then change "Start-up type" from "Automatic" to "Manual".
4. Apply/OK and exit.

Then, via the Spybot S&D, I went to the Tools tab >> System Startup and uncheck (stop running) the "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nTrayFw.exe"
Description
Software interface for NVIDIA ActiveArmor - hardware firewall built into nVidia nForce motherboard chipsets.

I was cautioned that I should be very careful in disabling ActiveArmor...

Any help will be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:25 AM

Well...ActiveArmor is a software firewall, can be uninstalled just like any other program...well, not quite :thumbsup:.

Seems that it's more of a driver than anything, http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t49569.html.

Louis

#3 th4u

th4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, hamluis.

Unfortunately, the link you provided does not show a solution to the problem, even so it is discussing virtually the same problem.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

IIRC...someone posted that removing the drivers, etc...would do the job.

I would disregard that last post by the OP, since XP will always reflect "a firewall" if the native firewall is enabled by default (and it is, unless someone turns it off or installs a 3d-party app which turns it off).

Louis

#5 th4u

th4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:49 AM

Sorry for my ignorance, Louis. Please clarify what is IIRC.

In regards to firewalls on my system, it is as following:

1. Windows Firewall - turned OFF
2. Online-Armor 4.0 - Installed and Active (3-rd party)
3. ActiveArmor - ?

My Security Center (in Control Panel) reports that "At least one of the firewalls installed on this computer is currently ON. ...".
But If I disable the Online-Armor, the Security Center reports that "ActiveArmor Firewall is currently ON. ..."

So in my case, I think two firewalls (i.e. Online-Armor and ActiveArmor) are ON during normal operation.

I also read This Article, but I'm still not sure how to get rid of ActiveArmor.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

Please clarify what is IIRC.

If I Recall Correctly
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users