Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic BSOD when trying to boot into winXP after cleaning virus.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 xwindowuser

xwindowuser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:54 PM

Let me say I am an IT person by day and can usualy fix these my self but I am stumped.
I had gotten a virus from a website two days ago, the sysguard fake antivirus. I used antimalwarebytes to do a quick scan and disable the thing. then I did a full scan with MAWB and super antispyware, and AVG Free9. Seemed to clean it out all good.
Then I noticed my firefox was being hijacked. so I used cwshredder to see if there was one of those things, nothing. then I used hijack this, and cleaned out a couple things.
Then I *Tried* to boot into safemode but couldn't was getting the BSOD when trying to get into safe mode. so I tried one of the bootsafemode fixers and still nothing.
Then I did a repair install, and that went through ok but then I started getting BSOD when trying to boot into winXP normally. with a generic message of
"a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."
and this stop error: Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xBA338184, 0xbad0ed44, 0xbad0ea40)

I can now get into safe mode. I can do safe mode with networking, but I can't for the life of me get into window normally.

I've done a second repair install, still nothing. I've run chkdsk /r 2 times and it's taken forever to get through both but no real errors.
I've moved all my drivers to a temporary directory to try to bypass all drivers whne booting into normal mode, still nothing but BSOD.

I'm running winXP was sp3 now is SP2 from the repair. and mirrored disks with the intel storage manager managing the mirrored drives.

I ran sf/scannow when I was able to get into windows before, but can't run it in safe mode.

I would really like to get back into my normal boot mode, and would appreciate any help anyone could suggest.
Thanks.

Oh I've also swapped out my video card, Ram, and still BSOD on boot. usually it BSOD almost immediatly into the windows splash screen. Then when I reboot it takes a bit longer to BSOD but usually does.

I've unplugged everything also.

anyway...any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

BTW everything was working fine until I got that sysguard virus two days ago. Hardware wise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users