Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change your IP Address?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Da!zed

Da!zed

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

I was just wondering if you can change your ip address. I use a router and have highspeed internet. Honestly, I'm concerned about a very computer savvy friend hacking my computer with the use of my ip address he could have easily obtained.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:58 AM

IP addresses are easy to change, and if your internet is set off a dynamic IP it changes every time you log on to the internet anyway. And if your worried about your friend hacking in, keep these 3 simple rules of thumb in mind. 1: he can only hack onto your computer if he can get a connection to your computer. so dont open any emails from him, and avoid any web sites he runs or that he knows you frequent. for example, don't visit his blog. he can find your IP address from there and since you initiated a connection with a a server he has access to, hacking into your computer is easy. 2: run a good firewall. Comodo is very good at that. 3: turn the computer off when not in use. he cannot hack a computer that is not turned on, because it is essentially invisible to the outside world, and when you may be able to notice someone trying to hack you. if you notice your being hacked, all you have to do is unplug the network cable. it will disconnect him, and once you plug it back in if you have a dynamic IP it will have changed making it difficult for him to refind it. and finally, if you honestly think youve been hacked, or if you think its a seriouse threat, call the police.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:31 AM

hi,,, all good advice by the man in the truck :huh:
run this test to see if your secure
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 Da!zed

Da!zed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

Thanks guys. I'll keep it in mind that my ip changes. I guess he's not a real threat, I just am concerned for my privacy. (we've seemed to have started a tit for tat retaliation thing, hacking eachothers accounts bein silly, then I learned he can hack haha. Having my facebook account hacked is one thing, having my computer/webcam hacked.. is not cool lol ) I know he uses a program that allows him to see the other persons desktop and move their mouse, etc as if he was sitting at the other computer.

So.. I know he had access to my computer while we were roomies. I really don't know much about hacking and all the ways he could get me. He doesn't run any sites or have any that I go to anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if I need to change my passwords, but that doesn't bother me so much.

also, i have comcast internet, and use a router for wireless, but everytime I've checked my IP it's the same, day after day O_O Is it possible he could have altered my router settings or things like that? I typically turn off the wireless on my computer when I suspect he's up to something lol. But, is that really secure? Can he maintain a connection with me even if I turn off my wireless settings?

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

hi,,,, wireless can be hacked, and if he knows your wireless passwords then its easy,,,, i would also look for programs running on startup, programs like logmein, this is a remote access program he could have installed on the pc, this will allow him to see your desktop and change things.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

What IPs are you checking? The individual PC(s), the router, the modem?

#7 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

All the other advise is great but you can always try this link http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/c...-windows-vista/
The guy with the big truck gives the best advice of all !

Edited by doinmeedin, 07 December 2009 - 04:09 PM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

Check your Internet visible IP here. http://tools.whois.net/yourip/

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

All the other advise is great but you can always try this link http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/c...-windows-vista/
The guy with the big truck gives the best advice of all !

That will change the PCs IP. In this case the computers IP is not what is being seen on the Internet. Entering the wrong IP range\subnet mask\default gateway\DNS server will totally disable the computers connection. Any single wrong entry will prevent iinternet access.

#10 Da!zed

Da!zed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

Haha now I'm overwhelmed.. okay I didn't see a process called logmein.

I also checked my ip.. still the same. I don't know how to check the computers IP versus the Router. and I don't want to do anything that will mess up my connection lol. It makes sense now.. if he had tampered with it why we had problems connecting sometimes.

I guess I'd like to know..

What programs should I check out to block unwanted connections. (I'll reread earlier posts someone mentioned a program)

How to change my IP without ruining it lol. I tried the protocal 4 thing before.. and it didn't work. When I checked my IP on the whois site it said it was the same as days ago.

I realize I can't properly secure my accounts or my other info as long as he has access to my IP and stuff.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

Now if you check the IP that was shown to you at WhoIs HERE. It will show you the location of that IP. Would not be surprised if it does not show your home. It will probably show the location of the nearest exit node of your ISP.

To find out the IP of your PC go to Start > run > type in cmd and hit enter. At the prompt in the window that opens type ipconfig /all. Note the space between ipconfig and /. The line entitled IP Address................: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the your PC`s IP.

If you are running a Linksys router, for example, then it will look something like 192.169.1.X or XX or XXX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users