Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

after system crash/recovery I cant get printer to share.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jennkent5454

jennkent5454

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:49 PM

I had printer sharing set up and working fine before the crash then after the system recovery I cant it to work. Im not sure if its the desk top side thats the issue or the laptop side.
the desktop is vista, the laptop is xp.
the desktop is directly connected to the printer, the cable modem and the wireless router. I reinstalled the printer to desktop. and both have an internet connection.

what is going on here? it was never this difficult before?

if you need any additional info let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Quick questions:

What's the printer make and model?
Is it installed as a Local or Network printer?
Is File and Printer Sharing enabled?

#3 jennkent5454

jennkent5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

the printer is a HP Officejet J5780 All In One. I downloaded the 5700 series drivers from HP.com

Im not sure how to tell if its local or network

I right clicked the printer icon and enabled sharing

#4 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:45 PM

Here's a short intro to sharing printers and how to tell if its a network or local printer:

There are two methods of installing printers. If a printer is physically connected to a computer by a cable then it is locally installed regardless of whether or not the printer is shared.

If a printer can be assigned an IP address, has an ethernet connection (plug for a network cable) or can be connected to via wireless networking then it is a network printer even if it is directly connected to a computer.

In order to share a locally connected printer, the computer the printer is physically connected to must be turned on and the operating system must be running for the printer to be available to print.

In order to share a network printer, the printer must be connected to a network at all times. It does not matter whether any computer is turned on or not.

Here's a Microsoft tutorial on how to share items between Vista and XP:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users