Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes up; won't let me update Malwarebytes, etc.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Razorburne

Razorburne

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

My laptop has begun to act "funny" in just the past couple of days. It will still boot up and connect me to the internet wirelessly - after that I'm never sure what exactly will happen. It could freeze while I am doing things, or.....the other day I was on the internet and going from one webpage to another when all of a sudden Internet Explorer shut down, and my computer decided to log off/shut down all by itself. Once that happened I figured I would run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to see if it would find any culprits - before running a scan I tried to update it. It connected to their server and informed me that a new version was available - when I chose to download and install the new version, the computer would not do it. It didn't quite "freeze" as I could still open up other things, but it would not let me update Malwarebytes. I then jumped on Internet Explorer and downloaded the new Malwarebytes (v. 1.42) setup file onto the desktop and ran it from there, but the computer would not allow it to run for some reason. I then ran Malwarebytes with the "old" definitions (from approx. 12/1/09) and it did not find any malware. I ran an AVG free scan and all it came back with were cookies. I don't know what's going on ....I hope someone out there can help me!

I don't know if this helps, but when the computer freezes, the only thing available for me to do eventually is to shutdown by pressing and holding the power button, as Ctrl +Alt + Delete does not respond. If I check Task Manager it doesn't show any programs running.

Please Help!

-Keith.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:39 AM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

Well, it would seem you're in a pickle here. Have you tried safemode with networking yet? To enter safemode you will want to gently tap F8 as your computer reboots. Select safemode with networking from the list.

Once in safemode, try updating your MBAM. I also run SUPERAntiSpyware when using MBAM but in safemode it's a bit more limited. It doesn't scan each users files either so if you have more than one username, you would have to scan each one individually.

Edited by azfreetech, 07 December 2009 - 05:46 PM.

DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#4 Razorburne

Razorburne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

thanks azfreetech........the computer seems to be acting ok now, and I was able to update MBAM to the newest version. I'm gonna do a full system scan with MBAM and I'm gonna look into the SUPERAntiSpyware as you suggested....if I run into problems, I'll be back....thanks!

#5 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

Now that things appear to be working properly there are just a couple of things left to do. First being is to create a new system restore point just in case a previous restore point was infected. This is easy enough to do.

Go to Start--> All Programs--> Accessories--> System Tools--> Click on System Restore--> Click the radio button next to Create a Restore Point--> click Next

Give the restore point a name and then click on Create. You may want to write down the date and time of this restore point just in case you need to restore to a good point later on.

Next you will want to use the Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent restore point. This will keep you from accidentally restoring from an infected restore point later.

Go to Start --> Run and type Cleanmgr in the box --> click OK

Disk Cleanup will scan your files and then you will see it open. Click More Options --> Clean Up (under System Restore) --> click OK. You will see a prompt that says “Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point” click Yes and then click OK. Once Disk Cleanup is done it will close.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users