Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet, audio, port devices Etc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 marsupi

marsupi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

I own an HP dv5000 (XP Media Center Edition 2005) which was recently infected with a Hijacking virus (or so Yahoo Spy told me) My Norton service expired, so I decided to try AVG free and Avira antivirus (AVG could never access the server to update itself...thats why I tried Avira afterwards which also had many unsuccessful attempts at updating itself). I had Firefox and IE8 - firefox suddenly wouldn't work at all (after auto updates) and I was also experiencing crashes with IE8, so i uninstalled it; hoping to install IE7 afterwards. All of my restore points are gone, it does not recognize my USB, there is a problem with my audio configuration "audio/video playback may not operate properly," it will not connect to the internet or recognize the wireless connection, my theme has been reverted to windows classic as opposed to XP, cannot install as it says "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are runnig Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance," nothing shows up in the device manager etc etc. Norton/avg/and avira are all uninstalled at this point.

My files and software are still there and I'm planning on buying a new computer anyway but I would like to retrieve my files which I currently cannot do as it will not write to CD or recognize my USB drive.

I realize this is my fault for not regularly backing up my files, but is there anything you think can be done at this point? I also do not recall getting a restore cd with this purchase (although I tore apart my room just in case).

Please let me know if there's any more info I should've provided.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

Remove the hard drive...attach it to a known-good, defended system...move the data files from the hard drive via the 2d computer system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users