Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating System Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spelunkik

spelunkik

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

Where to begin...

Okay, I bought an Acer Aspire 3680 laptop off of my brother-in-law. He had XP Professional on it, but it originally came with Vista Home Basic. There didn't seem to be any problems, but when I went to plug my headphones in, 75% of the time there would be no sound. Also, when I went to turn the bluetooth on, nothing happened. All the drivers were up to date, so I figured there were some compatibility issues.

I decided to deal with these problems, until one day a Windows Genuine notification appeared on my desktop saying that I was using an illegal copy. Well, I guess that was the straw that broke the camel's back, because I decided at that point that I wanted the original OS (Vista) on it. My brother-in-law did not give me a recovery disk, but the laptop did have a hidden recovery partition on it. Thinking I would be using Vista in a few hours, I restarted the laptop to access the recovery program. To my surprise, there was no recovery shortcut and the laptop continued to boot up as normal. Determined, I eventually found an article online that detailed how to regain access to the recovery partition. Either the article was incorrect or I did something wrong, because after restarting it, Windows Boot Manager would come up and tell me I had to insert my OS disk (which I didn't have). Now furious, I said "screw it!" and put Ubuntu 9.10 on it.

To put it simply, I don't have enough experience with Ubuntu to prevent myself from messing things up, so once again I want to put Vista back on it. But what can I do? I don't have a Vista disk of any kind. At Acer's support website they provide the option for me to buy a recovery disk for $19.95, but have I harmed my computer to the point that this recovery disk will no longer work? Is there a cheaper way to get Vista on the laptop, such as downloading free install disks online? If they even exist, would they be CDs or DVDs, because I only have a CD burner? The product key is still on the underside of the computer, but above the key is "Windows Vista Home Basic OEMAct." Will this product key only work with a OEMAct version, or any version of Home Basic?

Sorry for my long story and multitude of questions, but I figured the more I had, the better I could help you help me :huh:

Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jennkent5454

jennkent5454

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

not that this is any help but my son bought an acer aspire one D250, it would not power on out of the box. It was returned and the second one lasted about a month before the headphone jack/speakers were crackling all the time, it was sent to acer for repair and they just replaced it with a new one. but it has windows XP and a MFG date of 0907. I have heard that they have many problems with them.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:02 AM

you say it had windows Xp on it originally? did you have the disc/windows security number for that? if so, I would reinstall that. If not, contact your friend, he probably installed the same copy on another computer and put the CD key on that, and windows servers look for multiple computers with the same CD key and shut down extras if they find it (to help stop pirating) or if he had it already installed it could have taken them this long to find yours. either that or someone managed to hack your CD key. if you have the original CD key for any microsoft OS all you have to do is contact Microsoft or the manufacturer, and they can help you solve the problem. If the laptop had vista basic on it originally, then theres a good chance you have a CD key-check under it there should be a sticker that says the OS type and the CD key. If there is, just contact ACER support and see if they will send you a recovery disc. If not, Ubuntus really rather easy to learn if you want to spend a little extra time doing it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 spelunkik

spelunkik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

Currently, I am in fact learning Ubuntu. I make Ubuntu sound more horrible than what it is, because it really is a decent alternative. However, I just want Vista because any Microsoft OS it just seems less stressful to use in comparison to Ubuntu. There are many things I like about Ubuntu, but there are still problems that I wouldn't have if I just had Vista.

Yes, the computer originally had Vista Basic on it. The key is on the bottom. But again, my problem is that I don't have a restore disk or a Vista disk. Yes, I could purchase a restore disk from Acer, but I really would like to find a free alternative if one exists. I know you usually have to pay for everything in this world, but I don't see why I can't find a Vista install disk online for free. I don't care if I have all the Acer programs that originally came with the laptop. They were all junk anyway.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

hi,,,, if you know anyone with a full vista disc (any addition) then use this and your product key on the bottom of the pc.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

hi,,,, if you know anyone with a full vista disc (any addition) then use this and your product key on the bottom of the pc.
good luck.

negative, that isnt totally true. you cannot use any version of vista. If the key is for vista basic, then you MUST have a Vista Basic disc. so if you have a friend with a vista basic disc you can do that, but it needs to be vista basic. Try a local computer store, they may be able to take care of it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:04 AM

good luck.

negative, that isnt totally true. you cannot use any version of vista. If the key is for vista basic, then you MUST have a Vista Basic disc. so if you have a friend with a vista basic disc you can do that, but it needs to be vista basic. Try a local computer store, they may be able to take care of it.

hi,,, so the disc carries every addition apart from basic then ??? wonder why this is,,, microsoft are strange sometimes,,, i must admit, i have never reinstalled basic with my disc but have all the others, several times,,, i even make bootable 4gb flashdrives with vista on it as its quicker and easy to send in the post to friends in trouble. its a shame the op is not in England as i could have posted them one :huh:
thanks for the heads up on that one Patriot.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users