Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wow, my CD drive just shattered a disc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eraseunusedaccounts!

eraseunusedaccounts!

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

Its been making strange noises after running a bit but i walked in to open it real quick and it shattered open so to speak........will leftover pieces do any harm?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gregoryd

gregoryd

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:16 PM

Hi. I remember Mike Rivero at What Really happened . com talking about this a year or two ago. Now the problem is with CD,Rs and the dye they use to make them. Sometimes they are no longer readable after only a couple or a few years.
Anyhow, here's an article that might explain it for you. I've never had this happen, so when someone say's what the freak just happened, my disc blew up,I get curious.
Greg.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,105458,00.asp

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:20 PM

Its been making strange noises after running a bit but i walked in to open it real quick and it shattered open so to speak........will leftover pieces do any harm?

I would think that any pieces would need to be removed.

Does the drive still work?

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:26 AM

Hi i had a windows xp disc do this to me, all you want to make sure is remove every piece, i found i had to remove my cd-rom from the tower and push open the draw with a thin pin in the hole just under the draw, tip it upside down and shake it, i forgot as you remove the cd-rom from the tower you may find bits of disc poking out the back,and also scattered all over the inside of the tower.
It is best to remove every piece, also to finish off if you find any that you cannot remove from the cd rom then you will have to gently take it apart or get someone too do it for you.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:06 AM

I too had this to happen... Sounded like a firecracker popping. Try to clean it out. Just like all of the above said... probably are going to have to remove the drive from your computer and shake the debris out. You may even want to take the cover off the drive.

In my cases, 1 worked afterward and 2 were damaged beyond the clean. Drives are fairly cheap... and it is a good opportunity to get the DVD burner you have wanted! :thumbsup:

Take care...

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:32 PM

This happened to me, and of all the discs to happen to - it was my Windows XP Disc!

I was so pissed :thumbsup:

I had to send all the pieces to Microsoft and pay $5 to get a replacement. Not sure why Microsoft wanted it back....who knows, maybe they taped all the pieces together and sold it on Ebay as a "as is" product.
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#7 neochivers

neochivers

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:34 AM

if it was a cheap drive like a cd-rom you may as well replace it for 20
"If anything goes wrong blame it on the guy who cant speak english" : Homer Simpson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users