Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PHP5 on Windows Web Server 2008

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hi guys,

Has anyone set up php5 mysql on windows webserver 2008? I've found so far that web server 2008 is only avaliable in 64bit, what doesn't help is that i can only find a 32bit version of php, i've followed countless guides and tutorials that never seem to work (won't open any php pages even simple <? phpinfo(); >?)

I did get it to install once by allowing 32bit applications in the default pool, but then it wouldn't intergrate with mysql (could never load the extension). I am looking to have both ASP and PHP installed on this server, i have the option of any version of server i like (thank you microsoft's action pack!). I have tried the above with a 32bit version of Server 2003 Web Edition but couldn't get it to work (similar problems to the above).

Any idea's of what i could try next? I'm kind of at the limit here...

Thanks,

~ Kam

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

I have PHP and ASP on my Windows 2008 server. I'm pretty sure that I used the Microsoft's Web Platform Installer.

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

What version of server 2008 are you using? I have tried that but it didn't seem to work, you didn't happen to add mySQL database afterwards did you? Or use one of the option avaliable to you in the Installer?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

I used it to install MySql.

I've found so far that web server 2008 is only avaliable in 64bit

I missed that before. Just to clarify, which server are you trying to run? Windows Web Server and Windows Server both come in 32 bit and 64 bit. the Web installer is for Windows Server.

I have tried that but it didn't seem to work

I don't know what "it didn't work" is supposed to mean. TThe web installer failed and provided an error message? Or you tried to configure your server to 'see' the PHP installation and it failed to find it?

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

i remember reading somewhere that web edition of Server 2008 was only 64-bit, it was off a windows site to... I am currently trying to install php on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition. I have attempted that Web Platform install linked above, it says it finished ok, but when i try to view php pages i get an error (can't remember off the top of my head what it was... i'll post it later)

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

You still have to configure the server to tell it where to find the PHP installation. I don't remember how to do that off the top of my head, but it didn't take too terribly long.

#7 dzylildvl

dzylildvl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

i just installed both php5 and sql server express2008 on my 2008 standard edition 32 bit this morning using the same tool groovicus did and it was flawless, only had to reboot twice, once for the new msi4.5 installer and after the installation completed

#8 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

i don't want sql server though, i want mySQL, i figured out if you add wordpress to the install it installs mySQL as it is a requirement of wordpress. Just need to get it to run smoothly now, it's having teething problems...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users