Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP3 Knocked Out Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

My husband has been putting off installing SP3 on his system. This afternoon I decided to install it.
The install went well, system booted back up, and when I got to his desktop was greeted with this message:

AirPlusCFG.exe Entry Point Not Found.
The procedure entry point apsApply could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll

In the system tray, the computer icon told me his computer was not connected. No problem: I'll just sign him back in to the network. OOPS, didn't work, I was told we'd have to set up a wireless network. The current network didn't even show up. In network connections, the wireless card showed up, but I could not enable it.

An uninstall of SP3 resolved the issue. What I'd like to know is WHY SP3 knocked out his wireless settings? Any theories will be appreciated.

PS: I wasn't sure if I needed to reinstall the software for his wireless card, so I opted to remove SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

Hi, QE :thumbsup:.

Various bits of info at http://www.google.com/search?q=AirPlusCFG....amp;startPage=1, with the www.windowsbbs website (post by Ephemarial) seeming the best summary of what took place.

Louis

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the link, hamluis. I'll try it again Thursday when my husband will be gone.
I'll find and download what I need before installing SP3.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

Easily done, you are very welcome :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

May have nothing to do with you problem but I found it very use full to dafrag after downloading sp3. There are many changes made with this large update and they are all over the place.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

Thank you Layback Bear. I will defrag after the install.

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

http://kb.cadzow.com.au:15384/Cadzow/details.aspx?ID=1898

For future reference, the site cited in the above referenced link by Ephemarial:
Which is a pretty good comprehensive list of all the known possible bug triggers introduced by SP3 interacting with existing software and drivers. I have run into several of them separately since sp3 was released.
I am bookmarking it :thumbsup:
Thanks hamluis

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

UPDATE:

This evening I was finally able to install sp3 on my husband's computer.
As I expected, the wireless connection was again knocked out.

Because of the replies I received when I first posted, I was prepared.
I went back to the page linked to by hamluis and looked at the info provided in Ken's link.

Before I installed sp3, I downloaded the updated driver.
As soon as I rebooted after sp3 installed, I opened up the download, installed the drivers, got my husband reconnected to the wireless network, and he is now happily surfing the 'net.

Thank you for your help with this.

Layback Bear, I advised my husband to de-frag, which he needs to do anyway. He'll set it up to run overnight.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

Nice work Q-E :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users