Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up DSL with Linksys G router

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iflewjetz

iflewjetz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

Hi all. Thanks in advance. I have a Motorola 2210 DSL modem and a Linksys WRT54G router. I just bought this router on Ebay. I was previously using a Linksys B router. I have done all the hook up recommendations from www.dslreports.com/faq/15855 with no luck. I used this procedure for my old B type router and it worked. When I set it up, it says unable to obtain IP address. I changed the MTU to manual and still nothing. I am so frustrated with it. It has been about a week trying to do this. Please help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Since you bought the router from Ebay the first thing to do is reset the router with the button on the back. If the Motorola 2210 was set up already for your old router all you should have had to do it hard reset the router and plug it up like you had your old router. There isn't much of a difference between your old one and new, well not enough that it shouldn't work.

Once you do the hard reset, you'll need to go in and set it up like you had your old router. If you have a UN/PW from your DSL then you have to set that up. You'll need to setup the wireless security too.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 iflewjetz

iflewjetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

Once you do the hard reset, you'll need to go in and set it up like you had your old router. If you have a UN/PW from your DSL then you have to set that up. You'll need to setup the wireless security too.
[/quote]

Okay, I did the hard reset on both yesterday, with still no luck. I got to the very end and tried to connect and it says unable. What is the UN/PW ? Thanks

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:55 PM

the UN/PW to what? To the Linksys router? UN = nothing typed in. PW = admin

And you didn't need to reset the Motorola, it was already set up to work with a linksys. You just needed to set up the Linksys.

Here is a link to a page that shows how to set both up. Yes the Linksys router is different but the general way to do it is there and most Linksys web UIs are the same.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 iflewjetz

iflewjetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

yes, unfortunately I used that website and did all the steps and still nothing. It says, unable to obtain IP address. I changet the MTU to manual but still nothing. Think I may buy a DSL modem/router combo. I am so frustrated. Arrrggg

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

What says unable to get an IP address?

#7 iflewjetz

iflewjetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:06 AM

I followed the instructions at the end to just open the browser and go surfing, it said if it doesnt work, go into the router and go under status and hit the connect button. This is when it says connecting, the gives the cannot obtain IP address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users