Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stalling internet in all browsers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 JosieG

JosieG

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

Hi,
I am having problems with my computer...I am having intermittent (and growing ever frequent!!) problems with accessing any and all webpages. At first, I thought it was just a Mozilla issue, but the same problems occur in Google Chrome and IE. I will type in a URL and press enter and sometimes it will take forever to load, and if I click on the link again, it will bring it up instantly. It seems as if it is stalling. And other times, if I click on the link for a second time, it will say "done" on the bottom left hand side, but it will certainly not be done! I have been having this problem for weeks now and it is driving me crazy!
I have run Spybot, Adaware, Spyware Doctor, Malwarebytes, my AVG antivirus scan, and the free Symantec one on the website. Nothing has been found wrong! (I had MyWaySA found on Malwarebytes which removed it but my problem did not fix itself).
I tried restoring my computer to 4 different restore points but they were all unsuccessful.

I tried uninstalling ZoneAlarm thinking maybe that was the problem, but it was not.
Do you have any suggestions?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

This may be worth reading!

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/99133

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

Okay, this is the EXACT issue I had in the past.

I recommend trying this because your symptoms are the exact same as mine when I had this issue.

#4 JosieG

JosieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

Unfortunately, I did disable the DNS client AND updated my Zone Alarm, and I am still having a ton of problems with my web pages "stalling" , not loading completely or at all. Does anyone have any other ideas?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

Why not try turning of Zone Alarm on a couple of the slow but trusted sites to see if it has any effect, I bring this up as there was some talk about ZA having some sort of timer that can effect getting on sites.

Phil

#6 JosieG

JosieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

I disabled Zone Alarm and am still having the same problems. I'm sorry for the inconvenience :thumbsup:

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

I disabled Zone Alarm and am still having the same problems. I'm sorry for the inconvenience :thumbsup:

Never feel that your questions are inconvenient, the fellows up here are glad to try to help. There are some super knowledgeable guys way sharper then me.

#8 jmrdflcarpenter

jmrdflcarpenter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:16 PM

Well ... whenever you find out let us know what the problem is, because mine has been doing the same thing and nobody seems to know what the issue is. I have a post in the hijack logs thread as I was told. So I dunno *LoL*. Really annoying problem.

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

If you have the McAfee SiteAdvisor toolbar, disable it, it has been known to cause these issues with its newest update.

#10 jmrdflcarpenter

jmrdflcarpenter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

I dont have any of that installed. I dont McAfee nor anything affilated with them installed checked firefox and IE. I have AVG stuff.

#11 JosieG

JosieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

I don't have McAffee either; I have AVG as well...and I still don't have a solution to this problem!
jmrdflcarpenter, What firewall do you have installed?

#12 jmrdflcarpenter

jmrdflcarpenter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

ZoneAlarm and read about that whole zonealarm IE thing and I did everything with that and still didnt work. So I dunno. This is an issue nobody knows how to fix. I really dont wanna Format my computer and put everything back on.

Disabling the DNS doesnt work.

#13 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

Do you have a very large HOSTS file?
  • Click on Start then Run and type: %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\
  • Open the following file in Notepad: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Does it seem overly large to you?

#14 taly

taly

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:06 PM

This is happening on my two laptops (one XP, one Vista) and also on the XP desktop. Firefox, IE, Chrome--happens at home or other places--nothing seems to correct it.

#15 JosieG

JosieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:17 PM

The computer I'm having problems on had like 1 thing on it; our 2nd computer had like a million things on it though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users