Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Repair-install issue - hopefully!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pcmitch

pcmitch

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

Hi all,

3-4-yr old HP machine from Best Buy that came with no Windows CD and with instructions on how to create a recovery CD. After moving a couple of times, can’t find that CD. But, this is a legit copy and I have been installing and updating with the MS certified updates and have their validation program installed.

Never was able to get SP3 installed, so still running SP-2, but have updated most everything else as allowed.

Few months ago Explorer started searching for long periods before it would build out the file system tree and other programs do the same thing to open or save-as a file. IE often does not open a link in an email through Outlook. The progress bar will scroll a few segments and then stop there.

IE version is 8.

I’ve scanned with AVG, Super Anti Spyware, PC Tools Spyware, & Malware Bytes. Run scandisk & defrag periodically.

I bought an XP SP-2 OS to start over. It’s Version 2004 Corporate and is also labeled “Unattended.” I don’t know what any of that means.

After reading this forum I have a few questions I hope I can get some help with.
Can I do a repair with this copy over the old copy – even with the new product code?
Does this even sound like a repair candidate?
Does the “Unattended” label mean anything important?

Thanks to anybody who can help.
Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:01 PM

<<I bought an XP SP-2 OS to start over. It’s Version 2004 Corporate and is also labeled “Unattended.” I don’t know what any of that means.>>

Have you tried using Google...or going to the Microsoft website...to try to track down this "2004 Corporate" version?

Chances are (IMO), it's an illegal version that has been circulating via the torrent mechanism. Which, IMO, means that there is more than a passing chance that it may do something to a system that users may not necessarily want done.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...mp;oq=&aqi=

Myself...I try not to use software which may have been hacked before I install it.

Louis

#3 pcmitch

pcmitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

Hell, this is my primary work computer I make my living on. I wouldn't put anything illegal on it! I have to have full access to tech support for the programs I use and couldn't afford the unnecessary downtime.

But thanks for the heads up on the corporate license scheme. I just bought the cd online from a company after doing a Google search for it. If their site said something about "corporate" and "unattended," I missed it in the fine print. Probably got screwed.

Anyway, I'll try to check it out and see if it's legit. If not, I'll get a real version and start over.

That being said though, does anybody know anything or have any recommendations about the issue I'm having? Is this a repair or complete re-install issue? Any other remedies that might work?

Thanks,
Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users