Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Download Hijack This!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny182

Jenny182

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 04:42 PM

Hello I'm new so I apologize if I don't explain enough of my problem :thumbsup:

I use Windows XP Home

Okay, I heard the program 'Hijack This!' is good to block hijacking, So I went to www.snapfiles.com to download it, once i get to the Hijack This! downlaoad page, the IE window automatically closes. I try it on www.download.com but it does the same thing, even when i search 'Hijack This!' on Google and when I go to The Hijack This log Forum, sometimes it closes all my IE windows. So I try it on Mozilla FireFox but the result is the same.

My homepage website has been changed a couple times on Internet Exploer so I'm guessing I have been hijacked...Is the hijacker preventing me from downloading 'Hijack This!' or it it just my computer?

Edited by Jenny182, 12 August 2005 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

Here, click this direct download link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/Merijn/HijackThis.zip

Once downloaded, extract to its own folder for example
C:\program files\Hijack This

or something similar.

Also, I must reccomend you to mozilla firefox. Its the newest, most secure browser yet. And its totally free. (plus you wont get hijacked) Go to mozilla.org and download your free copy.

Edited by TEB, 12 August 2005 - 05:02 PM.

#3 Jenny182

Jenny182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:28 PM

I've followed your instructions, It started scanning but then it closed before the scan was finished.

Edited by Jenny182, 12 August 2005 - 06:30 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

Try the scan in safe mode.

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:29 PM

hmmm, I think you have the coolwebsearch trojan. It has been known to close Hijack this, please use cws shredder also from www.merijn.org. Its very simple, extract it anywhere as long as it is also in its own folder. Run it and scan, it will hopefully remove enough of the virus so you can run hijack this.

Download here:
http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/onl.../cwshredder.exe

Then try running hijack this after you run cws shredder

Edited by TEB, 12 August 2005 - 10:30 PM.

#6 Jenny182

Jenny182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:01 PM

CWShredder says I dont have the coolwebsearch :D I ran spybot and it shows "Backweb Autorun" which is spyware from backweb.com, could this be the cause?

And I've been lucky enough to get the Hijack This! to run long enough for me to get the log, But I cannot get on the Hijack This Log Forum..

Edited by Jenny182, 12 August 2005 - 11:20 PM.

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:22 PM

heres a direct link to reply, just paste your log in there and wait. Dont reply, the HJT team will respond eventually.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&CODE=00&f=22

#8 Jenny182

Jenny182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:18 AM

Wow Thank you very much for your help! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users