- My system was virtually trouble-free for the first two years
- The only major software/hardware change prior to the trouble was an antivirus upgrade to AVG 9.0 Internet Security
- An attempted restore from a Ghost backup to my primary hard drive failed, leaving the system drive corrupt
- I cannot reinstall Windows, either to my original IDE hard drive or to a brand new SATA drive, without the system crashing within 5 minutes
- I cannot restore from my Ghost backup on an external drive to either of the above drives without the system crashing or locking up within 5 minutes
- Two full system scans with an updated version of AVG 9.0 in safe mode prior to the initial restore attempt found no malware on the system
- All system tools and diagnostics I have used which do NOT run under Windows (SeaTools, Memtest86+, dban) run flawlessly for 24 hours or more and report no errors whatsoever
My main concern now is data recovery from the backup. If I do have some kind of hardware problem and need to replace the CPU and/or motherboard I may as well go ahead and rebuild the computer. But I still have a lot of data which (now) can only be retrieved from that backup.
Mach Speed P4MST-890 motherboard
Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz CPU
2x1GB DDR2 RAM
EVGA-Nvidia 8600 256MB video card (PCI Express-16)
AVerMedia TV tuner card (PCI Express-1)
Maxtor 200GB EIDE drive (original)
Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA internal (new)
WD MyBook 500GB external USB drive (backups)
DVD burner (IDE) - USRobotics 56K modem (PCI) - Floppy
Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
Any helpful suggestions are welcome.
Edited by ehbowen, 06 December 2009 - 10:31 PM.