Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NAS Connection issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 newgrass

newgrass

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

I have a small NAS setup and every wireless device I have can happily connect to it except my own pc.
The NAS is connected to a Netgear wireless router by cable as is my pc.
I can ping it and bring up its config page in a browser, I'm running Windows 7 and set as administrator.
If I look at my network in an explorer page the device is shown, but when I double click it, a windows dialogue pops up with the following:
"\\xxxxx-xxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions"
If I type \\xxxxx-xxxx\public into an explorer window I get the following network error;
"Windows cannot access \\xxxxx-xxxx\public. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try and reslove network problems ,click diagnose" Diagnose finds no solutions.
I also have a second pc running Windows 7, set up exactly the same and it can connect to it, the only difference being it is wireless.
I've tried switching off the Windows firewall but that made no difference.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

Are you using the IP address or the name of the NAS in the browser?

There has to be something different between the 2 PCs besides one being wireless. Just to test, is it a wireless laptop with wireless built in? If yes bring it to where the other PC is and connect it wired to see. If its a desktop with a USB wireless dongle move it to the other PC, install it and see if you can connect.

What firewall is on both?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users