Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New motherboard with old windows 7 install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spedkiller

Spedkiller

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

My motherboard recently died without notice, so I bought a new one. Since my motherboard died all of suddenly I was unable to back things up from my windows 7 installation, and I really need to be able to my current installation working with this new motherboard.

The only part of my build that I have changed is my motherboard from a BIOSTAR G31-M7G DVI LGA 775 Intel G31 (dead) to a ECS BLACK SERIES P45T-A LGA 775 Intel P45 (new). Currently when I try to boot windows 7 it detects that the system has changed and prompts me to either start windows normally or run the start up repair tool. Starting windows normally comes up with a blue screen, while when I run the tool, it says the problem cannot be repaired. I guessing some of my problems are coming from the fact that I also changed chipsets. Booting into safe mode also gives me a blue screen.

My question comes down to what are my options without doing a clean install? Would it be possible to do a repair install like you can in windows XP? Or are there somethings I could do through command prompt (I can get this through a part of the start up tool) or the windows 7 disc? Or if I were able to get another of windows 7 running on a different partition could I do anything to be able to get back on he old install?

More specific specs:
Windows 7 64bit ultimate (believe it is update to date, or close)
Old motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138132
New motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813135093
4GB DDR2 RAM
E7200 dual-core
GTX 260
640GB WD black caviler

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

It's been possible in other old versions of windows to change motherboards, by simply deleting all of the devices in the Device Manager when windows starts (if it does indeed start OK). Then install the devices on the new board. I have done this in XP Pro but never tried in the later OS's.

BTW don't waste your time/money/frustration with these brand X motherboards. Use ASUS and you will never look back.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

Repair install for Windows 7 : http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive...-fix-windows-7/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users