Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I had my main hard drive reformatted - virus is still there - HOW?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KellyG

KellyG

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

I have an HP Pavilion laptop with the Windows XP Professional O.S. Recently (last week or so) I have been under attack from some sort of virus (or so it seems) that my McAfee Anti-Virus program does not find at all. And another antivirus program that I tried also did not find it either (Avest A.V. I think is the name of that).

I got fed up with what it was doing to my computer. So I took it to a professional shop here where I live and had the main hard drive (there are two via a partition) entirely reformatted. The guy at the computer shop reformatted the main drive but did not reformat the other drive (which had next to nothing on it). However, the unknown virus appears to still be present somehow. I have tried everything I know of - system restore, operating in Safe Mode and running the anti-virus program, etc., but nothing seems to be able to FIND this friggin problem that is clearly still affecting my computer.

The primary problem that I am NOW having is the following - When I try to type something on any internet forum or on any Word program, etc., some sort of gremlin keeps affecting what I type. By that I mean while I am typing something there is some sort of glitch that happens every few seconds. This "glitch" results in the movement of the cursor to all sorts of places on the message (other than where it is supposed to be). So time after time I have to get the cursor back to where I was typing and also correct the inevitable mistake that occurred where the cursor was moved to (as the letters keep being typed but in the wrong place - if you see what I mean).

This virus also seems to attack all of my various anti-virus or anti-spyware programs and disable them repeatedly. So I have to uninstall them and then reinstall them, etc. I currently have McAfee 2010 Internet Security anti-virus program installed as well as Malware-Bytes anti-malware program (the free version) and a program called Super Anti Spyware (also a free version).

I'd appreciate any help anyone here can provide on this as it's REALLY starting to be a gigantic pain in the rump. And it's driving me nuts. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

I'd run a hard drive diagnostic, first step.

Louis

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

well, to speak the obvious, if you reformat the hard drive, it should erase everything including the virus thats on it, which means that the virus has managed to root itself into something other then your primary hard drive. the likely culprit is your second hard drive, it managed to hide itself in there so that no matter how many times you reformat the primary it will reinfect it immediatly. That is the most likely scenario, I would try reformating them both. if that doesn't do it, then chances are the virus is one of the really nasty ones (theyre extremely rare and unlikely) it managed to get into your computers BIOS, but that is extremely unlikely. If you don't want to erase both hard drives I would recomend going over to the HJT forum here and see what they can do for you, this is more their line of work. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 KellyG

KellyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

How exactly would I do that? And I'm referring to the first response here.

Edited by KellyG, 06 December 2009 - 03:19 PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:12 AM

well, heres the key now that the virus is back on the first hard drive, you will have to reformat both. to reformat the second drive, just open my computer, right click the drive, and click format (make sure you back up everything you want to on it first). And to reformat the primary just put in the windows disc and restart the computer, boot from the disc and follow on screen partitions. for that matter, I think you can format both drives with the windows disc. Its pretty easy to do. but I see they got you moved to the HJT forum here, so i would wait for one of their people to respond first and follow their directions. my methods the brute force method, they most likely have a better way of fixing it.

Edited by the_patriot09, 07 December 2009 - 02:13 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 KellyG

KellyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

well, heres the key now that the virus is back on the first hard drive, you will have to reformat both. to reformat the second drive, just open my computer, right click the drive, and click format (make sure you back up everything you want to on it first). And to reformat the primary just put in the windows disc and restart the computer, boot from the disc and follow on screen partitions. for that matter, I think you can format both drives with the windows disc. Its pretty easy to do. but I see they got you moved to the HJT forum here, so i would wait for one of their people to respond first and follow their directions. my methods the brute force method, they most likely have a better way of fixing it.

Thanks for the advice here patriot09 but I will have to pass on your advice for two reasons. A. I'm not comfortable trying to reformat my computer by myself - I know just enough about computers to get myself into trouble and that's about it. B. I do not have the Windows disc as it came with Windows XP Pro installed when I got it. But thanks just the same.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

......but I see they got you moved to the HJT forum here, so i would wait for one of their people to respond first and follow their directions.

Unless you are seeing something I do not see, always possible, KellyG`s posts in HJT are from last year.

@ KellyG. Have you updated and run full scans with Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware?

#8 KellyG

KellyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

......but I see they got you moved to the HJT forum here, so i would wait for one of their people to respond first and follow their directions.

Unless you are seeing something I do not see, always possible, KellyG`s posts in HJT are from last year.

@ KellyG. Have you updated and run full scans with Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware?

I don't know what makes you think my posts here are from last year. Maybe you are looking at the date I joined this forum?

And yes, I have updated and run full scans of both Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware as well as McAfee 2010 Anti-Virus. The problem(s) still persist.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

I don't know what makes you think my posts here are from last year. Maybe you are looking at the date I joined this forum?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showuser=223965

And yes, I have updated and run full scans of both Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware as well as McAfee 2010 Anti-Virus. The problem(s) still persist.

Assuming all scans showed clean then this is sounding more like a hardware issue as opposed to an infection.

Edited by ThunderZ, 07 December 2009 - 03:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users