Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading CPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 26sw905

26sw905

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

i want to upgrade my cpu to a faster cpu and wondered if a memory upgrade was needed also , i have an Athlon 64 x2 4600+ cpu at present and wanted to upgrade to a 6000+ model AM2 socket cpu , i know the socket is the same but do i need a memory upgrade also , at present i have 4 GB 667mhz (pc5300) my Mobo will take upto 2000mhz fsb max.
any advice gratefully recieved.
Brian..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...%20x%202%206000

It's your motherboard...that determines the type of RAM...the CPU type...the maximum CPU that can be installed, etc.

Everything else must be maid to fit the MB...or vice versa, if you have preferences.

FWIW: I have 2 64 X2 systems (4400 and 5000). If I wanted to "upgrade" (I have no reason to do such) I would just go to one of the Phenom II motherboard/CPU combinations, with DDR3...or maybe Phenom II X4, although I don't really comprehend the gain.

Examples at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...t=4&Recs=10

I suggest considering whether it's better to go for a marginal gain...or really get something that justifies the cash expenditure, at this time.

Louis

#3 26sw905

26sw905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:56 AM

as for the cash side of things upgrading the cpu would be my best option and cheapest as the new CPU will only cost some 45 or so your explanation didnt really answer my question in full , I know what the board can do it has a max FSB of 2000 mhz so ddr2 pc 5300 will still do fine and could be upgraded to pc6200 if nessesary , my question was if i can upgrade cpu WOULD I have to upgrade RAM ...?

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

as for the cash side of things upgrading the cpu would be my best option and cheapest as the new CPU will only cost some 45 or so your explanation didnt really answer my question in full , I know what the board can do it has a max FSB of 2000 mhz so ddr2 pc 5300 will still do fine and could be upgraded to pc6200 if nessesary , my question was if i can upgrade cpu WOULD I have to upgrade RAM ...?

Yeah, upgrading your RAM to faster sticks would better utilize the increased processing power(with the new proccy) to provide an increase in overall performance (not by a huge margin though).

Since your upgrading from 667Mhz sticks, an ideal upgrade would be to 1066Mhz ones (if supported), a 4GB (2GB X2) kit at that !

This setup (x2 6000 + 4gb 1066mhz) should last for a while. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 11 December 2009 - 08:56 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users