Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installed driver for wireless usb still saying unknown device

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eboknight

eboknight

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

I purchased a linksys wireless usb adapter, I have installed the software from the disc and linksys support website. When I connect the device it lables it as a unknown device with no driver software.

I am new to the whole wireless bit so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

If you follow the instructions it will tell you to plug the device in before the install process is done.

What version of Windows are you using?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

I finally got my pc to recognise my linksys. I uninstalled and reinstalled the setup wizard and driver. For some reason it was having issues ( locking up and white screen ) the first times I installed them, this time everything whent smooth.

I am trying to extend my usb cable using phone line. I have found that solid state phoneline will not work, I am going to get some braided line.
How far do you think I can extend the usb cable before I have problems.

I am using the extended cable for the linksys wireless device to move it to get better signal.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

with phone line? or Ethernet cable? I'd recommend Ethernet cable. And you should be able to go 150 feet or more. But there is no guarantee and distance will depend on the connectors you use.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

I read that you could use phone line to extend a usb cable by cutting the usb and splicing phone line between. I tried solid state phone line and I could only get it to work through about a foot any more and I had problems ( light on device would turn on but would not communicate with PC ). I tried braided phone line with not much better results.

I am soldering my connections, do you suggest I try something different.

I have tried two devices and both do the same thing.

What difference would using Ethernet cable make, they are both just copper wire right.

I also thought about buying several usb cables and chaining them together and sealing them with electrical grease but I have not checked into what that would cost, I believe I could pick them up on ebay pretty cheap.

I truly believe that the phone line idea should work but I am just doing something wrong, or another thought is that maybe my PC is not putting out enough juice to operate the device. That is something else I should mention the usb is plugged directly into my PC, would plugging it into some type of router or modem then to my PC make a difference.

Thanks
eboknight

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Well phone line is Cat3 Ethernet wire. Cat3 is rated at 10 Mbit/s, Cat5 is rated at 100 Mbit/s and Cat5e is rated at 1 Gbit/s. What's the difference, its all copper wire? The twists in said copper. The more twists the less the signal degrades. And for you, that would be REALLY important.

Here is a Amazon search of things that will do the job perfectly. There might be others out there, try searching for them. My advice would be to use Cat5e or Cat6 solid core Ethernet cable.

You are trying to do something which may or may not work to begin with. My advice would be stop MacGyvering the pieces and just get what is tested to at least extend the signal.

#7 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

Thanks I have a 1000 ft roll of regular phone line that is why I was pushing so hard to use that, and I read that it could be done.

This looks like a better rout to go. I found the adapters on ebay for 19 bucks and the cable for 14 bucks so I will save up the money and give it a shot. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again
eboknight

#8 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

I received the cat5 to usb connectors and 150ft of cat5e Ethernet cable. No good news as soon as I plug in the wireless dongle into the cables it registers as a unknown device on my PC.

It seems that if I try to extend more than 5ft this is what happens.

Is there a type of router or modem that I can run it through to boost the power or signal strength. I kind of feel the usb ports are not shooting enough juice to compensate for the extra cable.

Any Ideas.
Thanks Eboknight. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users