Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Okay, going to restore my computer, how should I protect it when its done?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rossS

rossS

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

What type of anti-virus/spyware/malware/adware/firewall systems do you guys reccomend? I'm restoring my computer because of a virus and a few other things, and I want to make sure its protected this time around. I heard the windows firewall isn't that great, and McAfee and those other anti-virus don't work that well. I would prefer all the things to be free :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

Doing a system restore can re-infect your system. If you want to be completely clean, do a reinstall/reformat of your hard drive and OS.

Anti-virus: Avira AntiVir free/personal Edition
Firewall: Comodo (Note: If you choose to use the Comodo Firewall AND Avira Anti-virus, be sure to uncheck the box during Comodo's installation that will install Comodo's anti-virus software, as running 2 Anti-virus programs will cause issues)
On demand scanners: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SUPERantispyware
Other protection: Spywareblaster

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

I believe that reinfecting a system during a system restore depends on what is meant by restore. If using Windows System Restore it is possible to reinfect if a restore point is infected, but if one is restoring the system back to the original state that it was in when purchased, I think that is a different matter.

What I use isn't free, but I have used ZoneAlarm Antivirus/Firewall for many years and love it. You can get the firewall for free however and I agree that the Windows firewall is not adequate.

Edited by Stang777, 07 December 2009 - 11:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users