Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet searches freezing my computer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 D Money

D Money

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

I am using my laptop running Vista, with McAfee antivirus. Recently everytime I go to do an internet search it keeps freezin my computer and the only thing I can do is shut the computer down, logoff, or restart. All the recent programs I installed I removed and still have the issue. Do you know what may be the problem?

D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

Try this.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

Boy oh Boy there are lots of things that can cause this. Let us have some specs. System,ram,what type of modem. 56k,DSL, Cable. Next have you cleaned your system internet options. If you don't know how to do this we will help you. You seam to be a internet person; well okay. What security are you using. Have you defragged. I know the list is getting long. Have you run and antimalware programs or antispyware programs and what did it come up with. You are at the right web site for help. There are many more things but lets start with these.Oh by the way :thumbsup:

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:26 PM

A slow modem/internet connection wouldn't freeze his system would it? That would only affect his browser.

#5 D Money

D Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

Sorry I didn't add all the specs, but here they are.

its a intel core 2 duo T6400 2.00 GHz and 4.00 GB ram 64 bit operating system

There is no other spyware or adware installed on the computer. I did install MBAM and Super AntiSpyware but when the computer started to freeze I had unistalled them. I have a DSL connection but this computer is on my wireless network. Let me know if there are any other question you may have. I have not done an defrag on this computer yet. The only Virus protection is McAfee.

D

Edited by D Money, 07 December 2009 - 05:33 PM.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

Have you tried my suggestion?

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

A problem with internet connection slows the internet. If you are running programs on your computer that are not using the internet they should work just fine. The two programs that you removed should not be giving you a problem. A defrag can't hurt it can only help. Can you hook your computer to the internet HARD WIRED and see if things get better?

#8 D Money

D Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

xblindx,

doing the start run help you provided did not work. I am going to defrag the computer overnight. I will try to hard wire it tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:57 PM

Do you by any chance have the McAfee/Siteadvisor toolbar installed?

#10 D Money

D Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

I have defraged this computer and it only freezes the internet page not the whole computer. I do have the McAfee/site advisory tool bar installed;it has been installed since i got the computer. I have tried to hard wire this computer as well and it will not let me. It only allows me to do wireless connection.

Edited by D Money, 08 December 2009 - 09:49 PM.

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

Uninstall the Site Advisor toolbar and see if that helps. McAfee admitted that the new update to the toolbar could be causing these issues.

#12 D Money

D Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

I couldn't uninstall them but when I disabled them that worked. Thanks for your help.

#13 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

Happy to help.

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Thanks xblindx for the info on that tool bar it should help a lot of people here.

#15 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

Thank you :thumbsup:
I just messaged a mod to see if I could possibly get them to pin a topic with the info about SiteAdvisor causing the freeze ups

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users