Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Problem of the Third Kind.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 musaraigne

musaraigne

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

Well, here is the curse description:

I use XP pro with Firefox search engine; in addition to the usual Microsoft placebos, I have a WiFi router password protected, AVG Internet security and Spybot. I also add to the “exception” list in Firefox tools all the malware URL that my protective software finds. I programmed a daily scan and I check results.

For the past two months, I am being plagued with a daily infestation of something called: "Webwatcher". It is not flagged by AVG but Spybot gets it. I delete it, immunize, re insert it into the exception list, but to no avail.

A search showed that this is a commercial spy software [How can such a tool be allowed openly!!] it does not produce any problem (obviously) but I am very concerned as to Who/What is inserting it in my computer daily and what is it doing there. I do bank online and this is what I fear for.

My questions are:
• Why is it not stopped by listing it in the exception list? All the other nuisances are.
• Since Ffox/AVG appear impotent in stopping it, what can I use that will?

By searching deeper into the origination of this Webwatcher nuisance, I found it to be linked to Google. That is probably the source of the problem; Google is planting it every time I go on line. I expect that Google’s intention is not to steal my financial ID but nevertheless, this is an unwelcome intrusion which could lead to serious harm is misused. I do not want it and I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what tool I can use to prevent further intrusions.

Thank you very much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:29 PM

Are you the owner/administrator of the computer?
This is a legitimate program
http://www.google.com/search?q=Webwatcher&...lient=firefox-a

It should be in Add/Remove Programs
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users