Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen restart

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CROSSBONES

CROSSBONES

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

I grew impatient and restarted a frozen computer (Dell C521, Vista) while it was frozen during an update. When I started it up all that happened was a black screen, with no activity what so ever and a fan racing inside the case. This computer was ready to go and bit the dust on me. What happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

You probably corrupted/damaged various system files which are necessary to boot. Maybe drivers also, don't know

I would try running chkdsk /r on it from the XP Recovery Console...as a first step.

Louis

#3 CROSSBONES

CROSSBONES
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

It would have to come from a cd or flash drive that took over the system for a start up, because there is no cursor.........nothing on the screen.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Once downloaded, you must burn the .iso file to CD, using one of the techniques listed in the following link.

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

The simplest thing to do...remove the hard drive, temporarily attach it to another systems and run chkdsk /r on the drive from that system.

Louis

#5 CROSSBONES

CROSSBONES
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

hamluis, I'll try the bootable iso tomorrow. I have Vista. Will that work? I am thinking this is worse than the HDD, but I'll try that too.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:51 AM

You posted in the Internal Hardware forum...for what may be a Vista issue (corrupted/damaged files)...I don't know.

The XP Recovery Console...I would not expect that to be of any value with Vista problems (my error, I always think I'm in the XP forum).

Since your post indicates that you think it's a hardware issue...I suggest awaiting inputs from those who are more knowledgeable than I about such.

Louis

#7 CROSSBONES

CROSSBONES
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

I suspect that it is a bios error. Perhaps I should have posted somewhere else.

#8 CROSSBONES

CROSSBONES
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

I have done some diagnostics and asked a lot of questions and read a lot of literature. It appears as if the mobo croaked. I hate when that happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users